This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CLI Scripting to restart IPSec VPN

I'm consistently having issues with IPSec VPN not able to reconnect. The VPN connects fine, runs for a while (can be days/week), then disconnects for whatever reason and won't reconnect. Simply restarting the other end (a Sonicwall router) does not fix things. It requires I either shutdown the other end and leave it off for a while (works sometimes) or that I restart the Sophos end (works all the time).

I've read other posts of users with similar issue and a couple pointed to the following series of CLI commands for restarting the VPN, which I want to put into a script and run periodically using cron:

cc get_objects ipsec_connection (to extracts "ref" object)
cc get_object REF_IpsSitxxxxx (to verify info - not sure if this is useful for script but listing here in case it is)
cc change_object REF_IpsSitxxxxx status 0
cc change_object REF_IpsSitxxxxx status 1

Problem now is that my already limited linux scripting experience is with other versions and I'm struggling to put together a script using Sophos flavour of linux.

Logic I want is as follows:

if ("ping -c 1 <remoteip> !=0" and "REF_IpsSitxxxxx is enabled") then

cc change_object REF_IpsSitxxxxx status 0
    sleep 3
    cc change_object REF_IpsSitxxxxx status 1

endif

I know the following command returns 0 if ping was successful at the command line:

ping -c 1 192.168.0.5 > /dev/nul` ; echo $?

So I think I have that part. Now what would the command be to know if the VPN tunnel is enabled (I don't want to restart it if it's been disabled) as well as the IF THEN ELSE syntax I need to use (using if... fi returned an error)

Any info would be appreciated

This thread was automatically locked due to age.