This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS Help/guidance requested please.

I have a small soho network  which is connected to the WAN through a UTM.  I have enabled DNS services on subnets using the UTM.  I do not have a local DNS set up on my machines.

Recently I have run into authentication issues with a shared NAS device and am thinking of running an LDAP server on the NAS as it has this capability built in.

The first setting I have to complete is for an FQDN on the LDAP server and an example was suggested.  This suggestion was along the lines "my.server.com." 

I wondered why .com since I hope the LDAP will be contained within the LAN and not connect beyond. 

What will the top level domain name be if I create a dedicated FQDN for my LDAP sever.  As it will be a private domain can I use a more appropriate top level such as .org or what?

In addition to setting up the LDAP I am also planning to set up an NSFv4 sever on my network and this will require DNS.  Does this mean I must set up my own DNS or can I use the service provided on the UTM.

Sorry to be so dumb but am having to learn a lot of new stuff I have not needed before!!!

Budge

This thread was automatically locked due to age.