This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Internal DNS Server Issues (no resolutions)

I'm having an issue lately where internal address' are not resolving though externals are. Nothing that I can think of was changed. All hosts are in the static DNS list with corrosponding name, IP and MAC.

External resolution is working.

Short from the ridiculousness of static DNS entries on every computer I'm looking to hopefully fix this.

I've done restarts a plenty, flushed the cache etc but it just no longer resolves ANYTHING internally.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Well you got me to thinking Amodin. I thought you meant you need to ping device.domain (or nslookup for that).I then remembered that whilst you just put device name in for MS DNS, the service itself would table that as device.domain in the table.

** For future readers here ..... I've gone through to DHCP and changed the domain to "lan" then did an nslookup "cctv" and it failed (rightfully so I guess) then changed the DNS name to cctv.lan and repeat the nslookup with an instant pass.

I'd forgotten the extra steps over the years and a stroke in between did no favors.

So I can still "nslookup device" (no .lan after) and it'll work 100% but it NEEDS that .domain in the name table in the static device mapping it would appear.

The setup without the .domain used to work but they've changed something at some point and it stopped... who knows what or when.

So thank you Amodin for at least prompting me to think why your "surprised it ever worked like that". Apparently that stroke killed off a bit too much of the memory.

• Hey, glad to have helped!  ;)

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)