This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why do I want Greylisting? Why does the UTM Greylist everything not rejected?

I am fully aware of what Greylisting is, but I am asking myself why would I want to use it and MOST IMPORTANTLY does the Sophos UTM SMTP Proxy use it by default or is it due to something I failed to setup correctly on the UTM or even another problem like Sender Verification failing and triggering Greylisting as a slow alternate method of sender verification??? While a great idea in principle, it caused at least a 7 minute delay in delivery to valid recipients and is not something I think I should have to live with as a default action.

I can bypass Greylisting by unchecking it in the profile since I am using profiles for more granularity. As an alternative, I can add all valid recipients to an exception rule Skipping: Greylisting FOR these recipient addresses. Can someone suggest a better way?

My question is: Is Greylisting everything a default action for all mail handled by the SMTP proxy or is there something that needs to be configured in the UTM to keep it from happening?

Finally, what is the consequence of disabling it?

Any help appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.