This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Newbie Setting up External Emails

Hi,

I am new to the Astaro Gateway and i am using it for a small business. I have set it up to allow internet access across the network of 12 computers.

I now wish to allow external email access to all users. Currently running exchange 2003 configured only for internal email. We have purchased a domain name and would like to receive external and internal email to our outlook clients. I have the Mail security option enabled within astaro V8. I have followed MOST of the sticky thread within this forum and have configured the astaro to allow email access.

This now allows me to telnet to my domain name through port 25, which was previously failing.

I have some questions please.

My server has never been used to send or receive external email. Do i still need to configure exchange 2003 for external email or will the Astaro deal with it for me?

Also when i need to amend my MX record within my domain CP, what is my Astaros FQDN? Am i right in thinking if i run a ping -a command on the ip address of the astaro it will resolve the FQDN name?

Many thanks for your help.

Clive.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • My fqdn for my Exchange server is sbs01.monarch.local

So, you could use a DNS Host definition with that in the 'Host list' on the 'Routing' tab.  In 'Domains', you should have something like 'monarch.co.uk' - whatever is in your email address.  What do you see in the SMTP log file - is traffic even coming to the UTM?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I think the problem is with traffic. When I send an external email from the internal network I can see traffic in the smtp log. when I send an email from say hotmail.com to monarch.co.uk I cannot see it on the smtp log at all. So its not hitting the utm. Why can this be?

Really appreciate your time. 

Clive.
  • If that's really your domain, public DNS isn't pointing at your UTM. I would setup a new MX record with the lowest preference number and a new FQDN for your device - maybe sbs01.monarch.co.uk... And I'll renew my suggestion to start over with that as your hostname. 

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses!  Posted from my iPhone.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA