This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Want to disable bounce messages

I'm still running V6 (I know... I'm actually upgrading in about 2 weeks).  But want to know how to suppress or simply not send bounce messages back to a sender.  For example, when I send an email to a non existent user at my domain from gmail I get a bounce back on my gmail account telling me it was not delivered etc.  I don't want to send these messages.  Any thoughts / advice / info is greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I am not sure how to take your posts. I am not sure if you are trying to flame astaro or just frustrated in general. 
    We process over 6 million emails in and out on a daily basis.

If you are processing this many emails, the easiest solution for you is what every other ISP in the world uses. Don't use the same mail server for outgoing email that you use for incoming email. No NDRs even with astaro if it doesn't know how to route, simple enough??[H]

additional info for those interested or who have problem. Backscatter has picked up big time this week for some reason.
    Computer Security Research - McAfee Avert Labs Blog

Dude that article is from 2008 and its not even an article, its a blog.[;)]

I'm kinda new to the computer industry. Since 1976.

Ever think of retiring and giving us newbies a chance. Maybe we don't want our RFCs broken.[:)]
  • Billybob, I think he's just frustrated, and I bet he's got multiple servers in/out.  It sounds like he has a problem that shouldn't exist, so maybe he's got a good reason to feel frustrated.

Cheers - Bob
    PS Wait a minute, are you saying that Astaro wouldn't wouldn't know how to route a bounce if it's not configured to relay from the host to which it delivers email for a domain?  I hadn't thought of that.  Are you sure?

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob, if you look at exim.conf, basically what astaro does is drop the message if you have any kind of verification turned on therefore all the messages are dropped at connection time if you have AD verification or verification with callout turned on. So no backscatter there. 

The scenario which might cause backscatter is if your backend server is down and astaro received the message. Now when the backend server comes back it will reject the message to astaro. In my testing, astaro still freezes the message but in logs shows a bounced message. But lets say for argument that astaro wants to bounce it, you can easily define a fake smarthost and that will freeze it.

NDRs are important. What if you sent a 5mb ppt presentation to someone and he only accepts emails upto 2mb. No ndr means you think you are done and the other party thinks you never sent the item.

are you saying that Astaro wouldn't wouldn't know how to route a bounce if it's not configured to relay from the host to which it delivers email for a domain? I hadn't thought of that. Are you sure?

That is not how I was thinking of doing it but theoretically that should work. Accept mail for a certain domain and then deny the host that is behind astaro accepting that mail to relay thru astaro. That way all ndrs will be rejected as relay not permitted. Only thing is that then you need a totally different server to send out email. But why go through all that when you can just disable ndrs on exchange etc. 

Most people forget astaro is just a relay not a mail server. Configure your mail server correctly and use relay for relaying and dropping stuff during transaction. Not after the fact.

By the way what are you doing moderating on a Friday night at 11:45 pm[:D]
  • Bob, if you look at exim.conf, basically what astaro does is drop the message if you have any kind of verification turned on therefore all the messages are dropped at connection time if you have AD verification or verification with callout turned on. So no backscatter there.

Yep.  That nets it out very clearly.  I guess you're tellin' me I'm a little too "wordy" at times? [[;)]]

By the way what are you doing moderating on a Friday night at 11:45 pm

You mean at 10:16pm?  11:45, hmmm - "hoist with his own petard?" [[;)]]

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • It is odd to revive a discussion from 10 years ago, but the question still seems to be unanswered.   

Does anyone know how to disable NDR messages from UTM?

Like the original post, I am aware that NDRs can become backscatter SPAM, or facilitate directory harvesting.   Is it possible that Sophos thinks this is unimportant?

• Official answer from support:   Not possible.

(Although they pointed out that I can block incoming backscatter by enabling BATV, which I already use)

• Has anyone tried disabling recipient verification?   I wonder if it changes how bounces are handled, or if it just delays when the bounces occur.

• Disabling recipient verification makes the mail server receive emails for non-existent accounts.  I know that Exchange can handle them in different ways including bouncing them, but that would seem to be inefficient.  It also can send an NDR or deliver such mail to a trashcan account.  Others here know more about that than I.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA