This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mac email client did not send/receive Gmail....but it now does after reinstalling the UTM and setting up Masquerade NAT - why is this??

I just installed UTM SW 9.705-3 on an old Dell PC with two n/w cards - one card connected to my router and the other to a switch for my internal network where I have various Macs and PCs.

Installation went well and I accepted the prompted default installation that included enabling the Firewall settings to allow Web traffic, email traffic, etc. and Web filtering set as transparent mode.

The good news is that I could browse the web however I could NOT send or receive gmail email. 

I had no SMTP or POP3 proxies set up , just the default firewall rules....see attached. Even if I created an additional rule for SMTP SSL 587 mail still would not send. After many hours of playing I gave up I then....

....reinstalled the UTM. 

I answered the initial installation questions exactly the same again however THIS TIME it had also created a masquerading rule in the NAT section - see attached. All email now sends and receives - hoorah

All verry strange and though I am very happy that all is good now can anyone please explain to me why does it need a Masquerade rule set up at all when surely the firewall rules would have been adequate?

Many thanks in advance..

regards, Jonathan

Jonathan

This thread was automatically locked due to age.