This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Home - Exceeded licensing - losing my mind...

Yet another thread on the apparent (from my searches) infamous 50 IP limit for home users.  I don't get it, and I'm hoping someone can provide some info.

I have about 24 devices that are network capable in my home (iphones, laptops (win and mac), windows media pc with extenders, 2 cameras, etc.  
Installed Home UTM on a 2 NIC machine about 4 days ago and went through the setup.  I already had an existing wireless router.  I originally set it up so that I had the cable modem to the UTM to the wireless router in AP mode (with DNS and DHCP set by the UTM).  Soon received an email from UTM stating I was using 47 out of my 50 IPs.  I thought, after searching through these forums, "ok, perhaps.  Perhaps it is an issue with IPv4 on some of my windows boxes."  So, I reset the count using the cc commands and went and disabled IPv4 on my windows machines (and set IPv6 to local link only on my Macs - I assume that disables it?).  I rebooted the UTM and noticed that the licensing section was blank.  I assume that means I am back to 0.  About 12 hours later, I get an email from UTM stating I am now using 57 IPs.  More searching on here and remove the gateway from my printer.  Reset using cc commands, reboot.  About 12 hours later, 60 IPs used.  Go back and reconfigure my wireless access point to be in normal mode (non-AP mode) and setup a new subnet on it and have it be the DHCP and DNS server for most of my devices (probably 1/3 to 1/2 of them).  Disable DHCP on UTM, disable DNS and NTP on UTM.  Knowing now that I am double NATd with many of my devices, I figured surely, I should be ok.  Go through cc commands, reboot, and this morning I'm greeted with a 66 IPs used message.

Funny (annoying) thing is that there are at least 3 or 4 of my devices that I know haven't even been powered on since I GOT the UTM in the first place (even though I've included them in my original device count above).  So, short of giving up on Sophos Home, what can I do?

I've removed devices from using DNS and DHCP.  I've removed default gateways from my printer (others need internet access), I've moved a good number of my devices behind a router so the UTM should only see the IP of the router, and I've disabled IPv6 (and haven't powered on some devices anyway).

I went through my list of devices and even if I assumed all devices had 2 IPs, I still can't come up with 66 IPs being used.  Something is screwy.

Help!  Please!  I'd like to continue to use UTM as I think it is a great product.  The licensing seems to leave a lot to be desired though (especially with how "connected" devices are nowadays).  I don't think I'm an unusual case with how many IP devices I have (yes, I am in IT, but still).

Jared

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Ok, a few updates/answers to questions:

William: 
    uPNP was enabled on the wirless router (after I defaulted it I guess).  Just turned that off.  Also, no dhcp server other than UTM with a range of 5 IPs (I have a few wired devices that have no way to set static IPs (roku, a windows media extender, etc).  The other DHCP server is the wireless router (10 available IPs to allocate).

Barry:
    I have my Cable modem going into the WAN of the UTM and then the UTM LAN goes to my 16 port switch.  My netgear wireless router's WAN port is plugged into one of the ports on the 16 port switch.  The main network (LAN on UTM is 192.168.168.0/24) while the LAN network inside the netgear router is 192.168.169.0/24.

Teched:
    I ran the commands.  the get licensing active_ips displayed a bunch of IPs in various 192.168.168.x ranges that I had been experimenting with over the last few days trying to get this to work.  the get licensing user_limit_exceeded brought back 10 and the last command didn't really show much else other than a list of IPs (but it did give me an IPv4 total (65) and an IPv6 total (0) so I guess at least I know I am not dealing with IPv6 devices being double counted.

In looking at this now (Please correct me if I'm wrong - or right), I wonder if I just am incorrect in what I assume the couple cc commands that reset the license count does.  I assumed that when I ran those commands that it wiped out the history as well.  It sounds like all it does is just clear the license count, but as soon as the database is queried again, the historical connection entries are still there - thus the reason why when I keep seeing an increase in the total number of IPs as I am making changes by moving things to new DHCP subnet ranges.  I guess my only option (other than backing up and restoring, I assume) is to leave all alone and wait 7 days and hope the final steady state number of IPs is below 50. Hopefully, my wife's devices don't get blocked from accessing the internet during the next week or I'll be in the doghouse [:)]

Jared
  • Ok, an update.  After letting things sit for a day or two, things seemed to have expired out.  I'm now down to just 28 out of 50 IPs (which is probably about right, given the devices I have).  Again, I guess I misunderstood what clearing the counted IPs command did.  Didn't know there was a sql command that looked at the last 7 days of logs to find all unique IPs that had traversed the UTM.

Thanks again for the help and guidance.
    Jared