This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[9.201-23] Very slow and/or broken browsing.

After the update to 9.201 on our ASG320 we are getting very poor performance on web browsing using the HTTP Proxy.

If I turn the proxy off, everyone is very happy and pages are loading quickly with no errors.

If I turn it back on (we are operating in transparent mode, no auth), we get very slow page loads.  Some pages won't load at all or return other errors.

I have tried rebooting, cycling the proxy service, simplifying the rules massively, turning caching on or off, nothing seems to help.

We really need this functionality, any clues?  9.2 perhaps was too far in one update?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • We seem to have an improvement after switching to SXL.  Thanks.
  • I have now upgraded to 9.2, and whole yes SXL does provide some improvement. However, loading dynamic pages with lots of links and pictures/movies it still slows down and the page can sometime simply keep turning.

I have switched back to "cc set http sc_local_db mem" and "use_sxl_urid 0"

pages now load instantly as expected and there is no delay. First time, every time a page is loaded.
  • - Certified Sophos UTM 9.2 Engineer 23/05/2014 

Yeah Matt!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I have now upgraded to 9.2, and whole yes SXL does provide some improvement. However, loading dynamic pages with lots of links and pictures/movies it still slows down and the page can sometime simply keep turning.

I have switched back to "cc set http sc_local_db mem" and "use_sxl_urid 0"

pages now load instantly as expected and there is no delay. First time, every time a page is loaded.

If that is the case then something else is wrong...with sxl you shouldn't need that..how is your ram usage and cpu usage both with sxl on and cff off and the other way around?

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• No nothing is wrong, the fact is that only one out of the farm of servers cffs10 is 30ms, all others are 200ms+

We are in Australia so unfortunately we look to only have one "Sophos cloud server"

with SXl it was faster than not having, and most pages after they loaded once they where fine, but some sites still had issues. With the database downloaded in MEM it was instant... and you cant beat that!
  • Concur with Matt's assesment and that also assumes the link to the cffs is not heavily loaded.

Ian
  • No nothing is wrong, the fact is that only one out of the farm of servers cffs10 is 30ms, all others are 200ms+

We are in Australia so unfortunately we look to only have one "Sophos cloud server"

with SXl it was faster than not having, and most pages after they loaded once they where fine, but some sites still had issues. With the database downloaded in MEM it was instant... and you cant beat that!

unfortunatly the mem option isn't supported.  Aussies have unique challenges so i can see why the mem might be required.  I would continue to stay on support's hiderparts on this one..[:)]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Have you been able to get anywhere, even if it is just finding out where the problem isn't, with support?
  • Have you been able to get anywhere, even if it is just finding out where the problem isn't, with support?

Im told by Sophos

1. Its a recognised fault 
    2. Its been escalated and is with the endpoint dev team
    3. That mine is the only case logged so Im doing all the scenario testing for them

I believe 1 & 2 but not 3

But like any other problem its how they deal with it that counts
  • Hi,

I'm having the same slow browsing experience and pages not loading sometimes issue.

What's the simplest way I can prove this is the same problem?
    I'll then raise it with support for they can see more than one person has the problem.

Thanks

Damien