This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[BUG][8.103] Installation: "Failed to partition device /dev/sda/"

Hi guys,

trying to build me an IPX box for ASG here.

• Dual-Core Atom N550 board with 2xGbit NIC - Jetway JNC9C-550-LF 
  • Mini ITX caes - Jetway ADD-ON 3x GigaLAN 
  • 2GB RAM (bought 4 when I realized, the board only handles 2 [:(] )
  • 500GB 2,5" WD that I had lying around

I then got me the "latest" ASG iso here:
ftp://ftp.astaro.com/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
... and burned it to a DVD/CD. 
Hooked up an external USB-DVD drive to the IPX box and bootet up.

When I follow the installation procedure it detects the four Intel Atom N550 threads as CPUs, the WDC WD5000 2,5" hdd, the DVD Drive and the two network cards properly. I hit ok, chose keyboard layout, location, leave date and time, pick eth0 and set an IP for the interface. I then pick the 64bit kernel since it is being offered. After that I choose "install all capabilities" and ....

THEN it tells me that during the next step it will erase all existing data on /dev/sda (the harddrive) and I hit "yes" to proceed: ---> error "failed to partition device /dev/sda/"
The log says:

bootstrap: START screen 'inst_part'

bootstrap: MBR wiped
bootstrap: part.c:453: ERROR: Error: gpt disk labels do not support extended partitions
bootstrap: ERROR: Failed to partition device /dev/sda
bootstrap: END screen 'inst_part'
bootstrap: END task 'installation'
bootstrap: START task 'fail'
bootstrap: START screen 'fail'

what am I doing wrong? Greatful for any advice. It has been years since I worked linux and I'm neither sure what the log means nor what I could do about it.

thanks guys
Andy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • @randfee:  Yes, you have the correct ISO for installation on your own hardware.  The big hint is that the name of the ISO file starts with asg.  

For Astaro hardware (appliance), the ISO name will start with ssi.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • ok I just was checking. I have tryed in the past to load Astaro from a USB CD and have had no luck I think I read you were using a USB drive? If yes is there an option to plug a regular CD drive in. I load my firewall like that Then unplug it when done.
  • thx Brucek,

but the started and then aborted (at 3%)  DBAN wipe apparently did the trick too 

right; you only need to erase the very beginning of the disk.

ASG has been installed, but the harddrive or the system seems insanely slow. The bootup takes like 10 minutes and seems to be interrupted every 20 secons for one minute or so.

Take a look at the kernel log and see if you can find any disk or other hardware errors.

Barry
  • I recommend GParted for wiping the existing partitions as well. I use it all the time.

You may also want to try changing your SATA Controller mode in BIOS. Either to or from ACHI/Enhanced & Legacy/IDE. There are several names these go by. I had some problems with these as well.
  • well it does work with new, unused hdds, but I'd really recommend for the installer to get fixed.

... well unless Astaro's policy is to not cover such issues since they'd only occur with 3rd party tools.
  • I wonder if 8.2 has this problem.

Barry
  • Was this ever resolved?  I am having the *exact* same issue.  

Hardware:
    Jetway NC92-N330 Mobo
    Jetway AD3RTLANG 3xGig
    2G Ram
    250G SATA hard drive from a Mac

I slicked the drive using disk util on my mac, no joy.
    Formatted with GPARTED, no joy.
    Tossed in an old 40G IDE, installed fine...  WTF

I have tried 8.103 ISO, 8.202 ISO, same same.
    Also tried booting into classic (which looked exactly the same once it booted up).

I think I have hit my wall for the evening.
  • So this whole time I was barking up the wrong tree.  I was chasing the PCI address conflict message that flashed by right after the boot screen (not it).  Then trying to figure out SATA/IDE problems...  Again not it.  The problem was that the drive came from a Mac.  Mac uses GPT (not MBR), and the Astaro installer cant partition the disk like it wants, and aborts the install.  

Google convert GPT to MBR, I saw that you can do it in Windows, or use gparted to format it as msdos...  

Learned something today.
  • It's enough to kill the MBR via the installer console:

SATA:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    sync
    reboot -d 0 -f

IDE:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
    sync
    reboot -d 0 -f

Extremely fast and easy! We use this method for our automated installations to enforce bootup from next bootable device instead of bootup from HDD on next reboot. This allows us to change bootdevice order without having to change BIOS settings all the time.
  • Hi Mario, is Astaro considering a fix for this in the installer? Astaro re-partitions the drive anyways, so it might as well clear the partition table.

Thanks,
    Barry