This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]

• Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

•  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Works fine on my Intel D2700DC and Gigabyte D525TUD.
    Thanks.[:)]
  • Didnt work for me on a D2500CCE, but I found an easier way.
    I admit I didnt fully understand why copying to /install/install and / makes any sense, so I just mounted the stick to /install:

mount /dev/sbd1 /install

Quicker, easier, and, most importantly, working.
    At least for me. 

P.S.: just registered to post this, hopefully brighten someones day, and say "thanks for an awesome FW distro!"
  • Didnt work for me on a D2500CCE, but I found an easier way.
    I admit I didnt fully understand why copying to /install/install and / makes any sense, so I just mounted the stick to /install:

mount /dev/sbd1 /install

Quicker, easier, and, most importantly, working.
    At least for me. 

P.S.: just registered to post this, hopefully brighten someones day, and say "thanks for an awesome FW distro!"

Thanks for this! The other instructions caused the install to freeze upon going back to Alt-F1 for some reason, but yours worked fine.
  • Tks for this, its works for me with my old intel server board (Pentium 4).
  • ...I just mounted the stick to /install:

mount /dev/sbd1 /install

This isn't working for me with 9.006 on a Dell Optiplex 620; says 'install.tar wasn't found...'

The mount command worked, but now it's not mounted anymore... something unmounted it.

Barry
  • I thought I'd pitch in to the community to help

After many hours of trial and error I found the solution. 

Mount /dev/sdb1 to /install to install AFTER the hardware detection runs. The hardware detection is what is causing it to be unmounted. 

So once you get a report of the hardware installed get into the shell by running ALT+F2 than run the mount command and it should work from there.
  • Too bad a special volume label or marker file couldn't be used to automount /dev/sdb1 to /install (even if it's a prompt like "We think we found your install media ").
  • Worked with v9.105! Thanks a lot! [:)]
  • Thanks all this worked with one of our older V4 UTM 120's that has issues powering USB cd roms drives.
  • at my machine, after copying like you told the system got a freeze because rootfs was full. I found out it is easier to only mount the usb media to /install using this command:

mount /dev/sdb1 /install

continue setup as usual.