This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG 7.502 on Toshiba Magnia SG30

I know, I know, this little box hasn't seen any love here in quite a few years, 3 since the last post about a SG20 as far as I saw in my searches.

That being said, it's still a perfect box for running ASG and replacing a standard router for a little more speed and control.  I actually have a couple of these servers and wanted to re-purpose them from their original Red-Hat installs.  For those not familiar with the box, it's a small headless server that was made for SOHO environments as a "all in one" box.  The headless part makes installing an OS on it challenging, and more so because I do not have the 8 pin serial cable for it's console access.

I took a look at shorewall on an Ubuntu 9.10 install and IPCop that was tailored for the SG series and wasn't super impressed with either.  Came across ASG and decided to take a deeper look into what was needed to get it working on my SG30.  Turns out, not much at all needs to be done...

The original install was done on a netbook using a USB to IDE adapter and a USB cd-rom, tried to keep it generic and simple so I wouldn't have any problems.  After I installed it, it took a little tweak in one file to make it boot & become accessible from the WebGUI:

/etc/modules.conf (Modified):

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 e100

This was added so that the shutdown command actually powers the box off completely;

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S10halt (Modified): (Lines besides those between double remarks are for finding location of addition)
fi

##Added for Toshiba SG LCD panel shutdown
echo -e "\033X"  > /dev/ttyS0
echo -ne "\033"  > /dev/ttyS0
echo -ne "8q"  > /dev/ttyS0
##End of add for Toshiba SG LCD
exec /sbin/halt -i -d -p -f >/dev/null 2>&1 &

# for more safety:
exit 1

Then to keep the LCD clean, I created the following files;

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_startup (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S00sglcd_startup)
echo -ne "\033X" > /dev/ttyS0

echo -n "   Booting...   " > /dev/ttyS0

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_booted (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99sglcd_booted)
sleep 20

echo -n "Astaro  Home Use" > /dev/ttyS0
echo -ne "\nSecurity Gateway" > /dev/ttyS0
sleep 5
sleep 5
sleep 5
sleep 5
sleep 20

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_shutdown (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S00sglcd_shutdown)

echo -ne "Shutting Down...\n" > /dev/ttyS0

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_restart (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S00sglcd_restart)

echo -n "  Restarting... " > /dev/ttyS0

The "booted" script has a few sleep commands and then sends the same info to the LCD panel a few times.  Reason for this in the booting process it looks like a program is probing the serial ports and it causes strings of junk to appear.  With the sleep commands, you will get some junk, but it will be gone in a few seconds.  Otherwise these are just for aesthetics only, this way I can at least visibly see when it's booting, restarting, or powering off.

One other thing I did do was modify the menu.lst file for startup so that the console will be redirected to the back serial port. (Just in case I do ever order up the cable or if others need it) Here's the changes I made to it:
# To enable serial console please uncomment the following two lines.

# You may also want to add a line like 'console=ttyS0,38400' to the
# 'kernel' lines below
serial --unit=1 --speed=115200
terminal --timeout=0 serial

title  Astaro Security Gateway V7
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
initrd /boot/initrd

title  Astaro Security Gateway V7 (previous)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.previous root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
initrd /boot/initrd.previous

title  Astaro Security Gateway V7 (rescue)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp nolapic noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
initrd /boot/initrd

To make sure I have an easy way to recover this system I made a disk image of it using dd.  The image is only 1.4GB and restores to the HDD quickly, also if others would like to load it on their SG30, it has minimal modifications to the original install and shouldn't cause a problem with updates and such. Also, the  In the future I'll probably be tweaking the LCD files and possibly adding some backup routines for mirroring the HDD.

I would be willing to share my HDD image with anyone here that would like it, but I won't post any links in here unless the moderators and such around here give me the green flag to do so.  The image itself is of the system IMMEDIATELY after the initial install and before the system has rebooted after that.  I basically found the files I needed to change, did another fresh install and modified the files I listed above to have a good baseline to work from. Basically as it would have been installed locally on the machine instead of a netbook, with as little modifications as possible to have a clean appearing machine.

So mods, is it a violation of any rules to share such an image?  Just want to make sure...

Also of note, the system is nice and responsive, and although I haven't loaded it yet and am still getting familiar with everything, I think it will be just fine for my 30MB cable connection.  Idle CPU is around 2-4% and uses 50-60% of memory after bootup, not too bad.  I did install the 7.503 and the 7.504 updates with no troubles, took less then 5 minutes to install and start the reboot for 7.504.  

Anyone else still using these things? [:$]

Ohhh, and this is my first post.. Be gentle... [:D]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • now i can't extract the packages for the 7zip files.  It says unable to open files as archive if i try to open them all at once.  Opening them one at a time doesn't give me anything to reconstitute either.  What am i doing wrong?

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• 7zip's also fail..saying unable to open as an archive.  Any ideas?

Other addons to follow

• Grab them par files and rebuild with those... They've never failed me before to fix a broken set of files... If you download just the first few par files it may be enough to fix it all up, if you need more "blocks" then just grab a few more par files...

On another note the serial port is a bitch... lol  I have tried every possible pinout and cannot get a useable output from it.  I actually found it's quite easy to power up the SG30 without the daughterboard attached and just popped in a PCI video card so I could see what was up with my backup box.  Turns out ECC was turned on, and one of the sticks didn't support it.

While I was in there, I did find a few tweaks to control the fans a little better and brought the FSB up to 105MHZ for 67 extra mhz, 5% whee!  Not much, but I figured it's not going to strain the system either, I'll see if it helps at all later on.

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, I did post up a file called "rename.me" that is supposed to be the 005 file, you could try to grab that, but honestly I'd go the par route, it will fix up the files so they look just like they did on my HDD.  Then you can use 7-Zip to open the 001 file and extract it all from there.
  • Also, the megaupload post I had to the 005 file tested good for me on a download.

Might have to look for something other then MediaFire, I've noticed it messes up uploads sometimes, and it's completely random. [:(]

One other thing to add, there are REV files with the RAR files, but they are a new archive set so you would have to download them all again.  REV files can be used inside WinRAR to rebuild broken RAR files, no need for another external program such as quickpar.  And the RAR files themselves have a 10% recovery record, so they should be able to rebuild themselves honestly.
  • i'll try the rar's one more time..[:)]

Other addons to follow

• So back on topic, I had been playing with the other SG30 and found out it's quite easy to get into the bios once the system is disassembled and out of the case.  Just pop in a PCI video card and short the two panel jumpers next to the keyboard port, and you've got video and keyboard to the SG30!

I tweaked a few things in the bios that I wanted to, but I also overclocked it slightly to 105mhz FSB/35mhz PCI just to see if there was any noticeable speed increase.

Went from  2421.43 BogoMIPS to 2524.53, and yes I know that isn't a good representation of speed, but it does reflect the 5% increase in CPU speed.  The cpu reports 1260mhz and while the boost is modest, I actually wanted the almost 10% increase on the PCI bus to help the NICs out.

Overall it's not a huge difference, but one I think I have for sure noticed is that the web interface feels much snappier.  Moving between menu items there is about a 1 second lag where as before it felt like maybe 2 seconds.  Most of the time it's instantaneous, but after it's been sitting for a while you will notice a little lag.  Now that lag "feels" like it's reduced and the system is a little more responsive.  Web speeds are still the same, not really noticing anything from that side of it, not that I had any complaints as it keeps up with my 40/10mbs cable connection just fine.

Could just be me, but I figured I had nothing to lose, so what the heck, I'll see if there's any free performance to be had!  The value of it is still up in the air though. [:)]
  • Now that I've moved completely over to ASG for my home firewall I figured I'd just drop a little info.

Wow have these guys done a great job optimizing this package, kudos to the development team on that!  The SG30 is by no means a speedy system, but for it's size the components seem well chosen by Toshiba. (All seem to work well together with no "glitches" that slow system response)

Once again, it's a 1.2ghz Celeron (Tualatin core) with 1GB ram and a 5400rpm 80GB HDD.  Nothing fancy, but it really is great to see the system perform so well.  Not much else for it to do but go to the recycle heap if this didn't fly... [:D]

Decided to take a snapshot of what the system reports looked like for the last day.  Was a very typical day with heavy home office use where I was busy enough I didn't peek at the web interface all day. Lots of SSH sessions, remote desktop sessions, probably 500MB downloaded in files, and lots of multi tabbed browsing.  Had streaming Netflix HD in the eve with some online games as well, no problems there.  Over the entire day I have 2-3 VOIP (T-Mobile UMA) connections with 3-6 hours of combined use.  Throughout day I did have uTorrent open, as I have for the past week, lightly sharing out a cache of linux distros just to keep the connection count up and check QOS performance.  Performs better then my DGL-4100 with that load! [:)]

The biggest win for me is, I have never heard my UMA calls distort or drop no matter how I try to consume and mangle the bandwidth.  Well.... at least now that I've got QOS setup as needed... [:P]

Here's the logs after today:
  • So back on topic, I had been playing with the other SG30 and found out it's quite easy to get into the bios once the system is disassembled and out of the case.  Just pop in a PCI video card and short the two panel jumpers next to the keyboard port, and you've got video and keyboard to the SG30!

I know this is an old post, I hope you will still check and answer. I have 2 Magnia SG20 and 1 is running with Ubuntu 10.04 and working VERY well. The other Ubuntu 7.04 and this unit will not start.

OK I stuck an AGP card in mine and tried to boot it. I could not get it to boot. I shorted the 2 jumpers. Would like that to get up and running, too. But the SG20 will not get past the Magnia screen before the bios check. Complete or disassembled with the monitor.

Some of the LCD functions on the Ubuntu 10.04 do not work and I can not fiure them out. I plan on it, but other then that it is an awesome install.
  • The other Ubuntu 7.04 and this unit will not start.

On the SG20 it is  2 jumpers on the side near the post. There are 2 more on the other side of the area that turn it on, but not boot it.

The issues with the above SG20 is that the RAM I had was not ECC. I disabled that in the bios and I have 2 working servers at work.

NIIICCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
  • Great to see this!  Just as a heads up, I grabbed some cables from MonoPrice and coupled them to a null modem cable.  This lets me use the console redirection in the BIOS as well as grub and agetty so that everything about the boot is routed to the serial port and I can login through that console once it's all booted up.

Are you using the Astaro software on either of them?  On the SG30 it's proven to be quite reliable for me, and speed has never been an issue with it.  Maybe now that I've got the serial cable all setup, I'll try out v8 on it.. (Still at 7.504)

Also, take a look here for some files I've posted up for the SG30 (There's a PDF on customization for the SG20 in there):  
    http://www.mediafire.com/?skb880viu4b70