This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Connection lost when downloading file from specific FTP (weird!)

Hello,

I have a very, very weird problem:

When I download a large file from a specific FTP, my uplink is lost after some minutes.
(when I download the same file from another FTP with the same speed, this problem doesn't occur! ???)
When I get the error, UTM reports "State: Up" and "Uplink: Error". My modem (connected via Ethernet) shows a normal connection (all LEDs are lit normally).

When I then do nothing, the connection will come back after 5 to 20 minutes.

While I'm disconnected, I can see DHCPACKs in the system log, but not a single server from outside can be reached.

When I restart the firewall, the time for a comeback of the line seems to be the same.
When I restart my modem, I have a connection after the modem's initialization.

This led me to the conclusion that the problem must lie beyond my firewall.

I then contacted my ISP and they observed my modem while I forced the disconnect with the download.

The interesting thing was: I phoned over IP. When I lost the connection, I could hear my ISP for a minute or so but he couldn't hear me. So packets seem to reach me, but no packet could be sent.
And: While I was disconnected, my ISP could call the webinterface of my modem normally and could ping servers from there, while I was unable to ping any server from my UTM.

So now the conclusion seems to be, that the problem is on my UTM. What the heck is going on here? :-)
I found this thread and I had hopes, but the ethtool call didn't help: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/hardware-installation-up2date-licensing/30148/9-312-intel-82572ei-e1000e-hardware-unit-hang

I cannot tell it exactly and it is maybe coincidence, but maybe the problems began when updating my UTM from 9.504-1 to 9.605-1.
I have a single internet line with no load balancing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
This problem is driving me mad.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.