This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't login to webmin [7.305]

Hi,
I was going to post that I can no longer log into the VPN using the Linux OpenVPN client, however, I now see that I can't login to webmin either.
"Invalid username or password."

1. Is there still a problem with db corruption or whatever which could cause this?

2. would VPN login failures lock my account from webmin?

3. I can login via SSH. What should I do now?

I first noticed the VPN login wasn't working yesterday.

I've been running 7.305 for 28 days. That is also the last time the firewall was rebooted, and it is on a large UPS. 

dmesg shows no errors

kernel logs are empty all this month except for 2 occasions where I power cycled my internal ethernet switch, for which there are the expected link down/link up messages.

httpd.log has nothing unusual

Also, I'm not getting emails about the webmin login failures.

Thanks,
Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Bruce, it was a fresh config in 7.0xx, upgraded gradually to 7.305.

The file is still growing; it's at 197MB right now, and /tmp is 34% full.

I also see that PostGreSQL is using all available CPU, but I just tried to go into Reporting-NetworkUsage-Accounting, so I'm not sure if it's still working on that. (The report hasn't loaded after several minutes.)

I'm also seeing high RAM and SWAP usage... 211MB swapped right now.

TOP output, sorted by 'M'emory:
    Mem:    516220k total,   503472k used,    12748k free,     3300k buffers

Swap:  1052248k total,   211268k used,   840980k free,    70504k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                                                          
     2221 root      25   0  157m 136m 2796 R 46.8 27.1   0:41.46 confd.plx                                                                                                                        
     4058 root      14  -1  116m  67m 1252 S 50.1 13.5 472:07.79 snort_inline                                                                                                                     
     2279 root      35  19 66084  60m 2852 S  0.0 11.9   0:13.05 gen_inline_repo                                                                                                                  
     3604 postgres  17   0 49728  35m  35m S  0.7  7.1  37:10.64 postgres                                                                                                                         
     2913 postgres  15   0 48948  33m  33m S  0.0  6.7   0:14.45 postgres                                                                                                                         
     2286 postgres  16   0 52348  33m  31m S  0.0  6.7   0:46.16 postgres                                                                                                                         
     2322 postgres  22   0 52168  33m  31m S  0.0  6.6   1:13.95 postgres                                                                                                                         
     2345 wwwrun    16   0 32888  26m 3100 S  0.0  5.3   0:04.00 index.plx                                                                                                                        
     3829 root      15   0 39472  13m 1396 S  0.7  2.6  22:31.60 smtpd.bin                                                                                                                        

I'm not using any of the proxies except SOCKS.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • I should mention that the high CPU usage by snort is, I believe, because I am currently copying some large files (via SMB) through bridged interfaces in the firewall.

Barry
  • I've shutdown the firewall and added another 512MB, so Astaro is now seeing 900MB... 

PostGreSQL is still often using a lot of CPU, even when I'm not trying to look at the accounting page, and I still am unable to successfully load the accounting page. I'm going to open another thread about that.

Do I need to reset the accounting database?
    e.g. https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/51/t/20299

The database doesn't seem very big though... 27MB for the data, but the 'pg_xlog' (WAL logs) directory is 426MB... not sure if that's normal?
    A new firewall I built a few days ago has 22MB in 'base' and 33MB in 'pg_xlog'.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • The WAL is running fine (under current settings, it grows up to about 460 MB or so and then starts to re-use files).
    The *sql.cache-files are used for the webadmin reporting pages and the inline/exucutive reports. The weekly and monthly executive reports generates a larger cache than the "normal" daily inline reports, so you might want to disable the weekly and monthly executive  reports. There will be improvements in 7.400...
    Judging from the size of the cache-files your machine is way under-spec'ed for the amount of reporting data you're moving about (try 2 or 4 GB of RAM, and a decent stack of fast hard disks), perhaps you should try to disable accounting or reduce the keeping-time to a few days.
  • Thanks CMT... I'll try disabling the exec reports... I already had the monthy and weekly ones turned off though.

As far as more ram and faster disks...
    This is my home firewall, and my connection is only 500kbits.
    I do admit to having P2P programs running most of the time.

I'm actually planning on getting a smaller & lower-wattage firewall to replace this one (but the CPU will be faster).
    If I have to live without accounting, I will, but I must say that Astaro 6's accounting worked great on a PII-500MHz with 384MB RAM.

I've opened another thread about the Accounting report failing to open; I'm getting errors in the httpd.log about it.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • I would try disabling accounting, then running the reset routine from the shell as found on this forum (don't remember which thread it was)... I'm guessing something is corrupt somewhere.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• One other suggestion... backup your configuration, and reload the unit with the latest ISO, then restore... that would definitely reinitialize any databases, etc. that were corrupt.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Hi Bruce,
    I found a thread about resetting accounting at
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/51/t/20299

but I'm not sure it's current; it mentions 2007 in the thread.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • One other suggestion... backup your configuration, and reload the unit with the latest ISO, then restore... that would definitely reinitialize any databases, etc. that were corrupt.

Bruce, I have sort of taken your advice... I've just wiped and installed the 7.380 Beta; so far, the accounting page in reporting is working.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • Hmm... after less than 24 hours, accounting is no longer working.

I'll open a thread in the beta forum, but this probably affects 7.305 as well.

Barry