This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM Home - Set up with existing Cable modem and WLAN router

Hi there, i seek advice on how to set up an UTM behind an existing Archer C7 WLAN router, that is connected to the WAN of an existing cable modem (no special functions like wlan, just providing internet and connected with an ethernet cable to the WLAN router). 

I would like to try out the UTM, which I install on a spare PC that has a build in NIC and - if neccessary - an additional USB to RJ45 adapter. 

My goal is to have all the traffic from all my devices routed through the UTM instead through the wlan router. I have plenty of wlan devices, and some LAN devices. How can in configure the wlan router, in order to keep using it for wlan? i do not want to replace it with an additional AP, because the wlan signal and speed of the archer c7 wlan router is quite good. 

Can I turn of the DHCP server on the wlan router, and have it enabled in the UTM in order to have the wlan devices connect to the wlan router, but have their traffic routed through the UTM? 

The WLAN router has the following functions: DHCP server, DYNDNS login, static ip reservation of ip addresses via MAC address, and then the standard NAT function and basic "firewall" functions that are build in the normal tp-link routers.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • It just occurred to me, if you're using a cable provider, chances are the account is provisioned for a single IP address.  Once an address is assigned to your router, pc, or some other connected device, the modem will not assign any more addresses. You must either reboot the modem or clone the mac of the last assigned device in the utm.  Rebooting the modem clears the assignment.

• sorry for that quote mistake.

yes, the external nic receives an IP address from my ISP.

i do not quite understand your second sentence. why would the public IP needed to be duplicated?

maybe the problem has sth to do with the fact that i cannot even ping from the UTM support tools menu to outside IPs or sites, like google.com or 8.8.8.8. the UTM does not communicate to the outside, even though the masquerading is set and the interfaces are set up (all has been set according to the default wizard settings, then i connected the WAN port to the modem and received a public IP from the ISP)

Edit: I found a user that had some similar problem with the non-ability to ping to the outside.

He wrote sth i do not quite understand, maybe you can help?

Quote:

I had specified the default gateway as the external ip in the internal but had not checked default Ipv4 gateway in the external.

• Pinging requires a separate firewall rule to allow such activity to pass. There's also ICMP settings in network protection/firewall/icmp that must be enabled for UTM to be able to ping outside.

For testing purposes you can create a firewall rule that allows everything to pass out.

local lan (network) -> any -> any (or internet ipv4).  Don't forget to put this at the top and turn it on once created.  Also make sure that web protection/web filtering is disabled.  This should allow any and all traffic to pass from the lan to the internet.

• unfortunately that rule does not help either. still no internet connection. i also tried bridge mode but that did not help either :(

Edit: I found a user that had some similar problem with the non-ability to access the outside.

He wrote sth i do not quite understand tough.

Quote:

I had specified the default gateway as the external ip in the internal but had not checked default Ipv4 gateway in the external.

• I'm not sure what that means either.

Post screen shots of your internal and external interface definitions after clicking edit on each. 

• Not at home right now, will post screenshots after coming home. Thinking about it, i cannot remember right now what i set for the gateway setting on external network (default gw checked or not)