[9.000][BUG] confusing message when Application Control is disabled

Hi, in 9.000, the first time I disabled Application Control/Network Visibility, I was given the following message:

Please confirm:

Interfaces & Routing → Quality of Service (QoS) → Traffic Selectors:
Traffic selectors that require application classification are in use. Continuing will enable application control.

Application control is currently in use by the Quality of Service rule(s) 'Skype,P2P' Continuing will disable these QoS rules.

OK / Cancel

I don't know why it says "Continuing will enable application control".

Barry
Parents
  • I clicked on the traffic light to disable application control (the page says "network visibility").

I was disabling it to see if it affected a different problem with bittorrent.

It only happened the first time I clicked on it.

I did have some Traffic Selectors and/or Bandwidth Pools imported from a v8 backup (which was imported from v7); they had names like ref#, so I did delete them after that; maybe it was related to that.

Either way, I'm sure the error message exists in the code and could be made less confusing.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • ... I'm sure the error message exists in the code ...

Well, that's the problem. It's not a single message, it's a list of messages, where each message on it's own does make sense. It's the way that the UTM handles dependencies, basically telling the user "Hey, if you disable this feature, i have to turn off that other feature over here too" and asking for confirmation.

I totally agree with you that this combination of messages you saw is wrong. This should be handled better. But this has to be done in the logic part where the dependencies are checked, so I need to find out how this happened... I guess it has to to with the V8 backup import, so I'll check that first.

Thanks,
    Kai
  • ... I'm sure the error message exists in the code ...

Well, that's the problem. It's not a single message, it's a list of messages, where each message on it's own does make sense. It's the way that the UTM handles dependencies, basically telling the user "Hey, if you disable this feature, i have to turn off that other feature over here too" and asking for confirmation.

I totally agree with you that this combination of messages you saw is wrong. This should be handled better. But this has to be done in the logic part where the dependencies are checked, so I need to find out how this happened... I guess it has to to with the V8 backup import, so I'll check that first.

Thanks,
    Kai
Children
No Data