[9.100][BUG] HA Hot Standby - Doesnt work after Update

After the Update from 9.0 Beta to the Update 9.1 Soft Release my Hot Standby Cluster doesn't work.
I have 2 VMWare hosts, a dedicated HA Cluster NIC-vSwitch and the config applied "cc set ha advanced virtual_mac 0"

If the 2 Sophos are running on the same Host Internet and Pings over the Network works. Are the two Sophos running on the separated Hosts Internet and pinging other Servers doesn’t work.

I think there the Virtual MAC settings will not by applied.

On the attached Picture you see that the typed config don’t by applied.
  • what does 'cc get ha advanced virtual_mac' return? The set command returns 1 on success not the value it tried to set.
  • OK, than that was a wrong interpretation from me.

The command returns 0

But HA on separated Host doesn't works.
    On the Productive Version 9.06 it was fine.
    After reinstalled the Beta and Updated to Soft Release 9.1 it doesn't works.
  • I think i got the problem. I have set the "cc set ha advanced virtual_mac 0" command before activating de Cluster. I will try that and give you feedback.
  • So I have new information's.
    I have already the problem with the 2 Firewalls.
    I have done a new clean installation of the Firewall and configured the HA. (No configuration restore)

Are there special configuration settings for de VMware Hosts?
    I think the Host with the passive firewall knows that the firewall has the same IPs as the active Firewall and cannot send the packages to the active firewall.

Have someone the same issue?
  • Hi
    I have the same problem. 
    Upgrade from u2d-sys-9.005015-006005.tgz.gpg to u2d-sys-9.001018.tgz.gpg on Lifesystem and the same Problem on scratch installation.
    ethernet0.ignoreMACAddressConflict = "TRUE"
    ethernet1.ignoreMACAddressConflict = "TRUE"
    ethernet2.ignoreMACAddressConflict = "TRUE"
    ethernet3.ignoreMACAddressConflict = "TRUE"
    and 
    /usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx set ha advanced virtual_mac 0
  • I have installed from scratch the Version 9.100-14 and the Problem is the same.
  • Hi Reale,

We tested the cluster with the up2date package: sys-9.092-9.100-8.8.1 and the nodes syncronized.

What up2date package did you use?
    Can you provide high-availability.log and kernel.log from the time when the problem occured?

Best regards,
    Bianca
  • HI Tinkerbell

I'm using the asg-9.100-14.1iso source.

Synchronization of the 2 Firewalls work fine.

The problem is that when I move the second firewall to the second host I lose the connection to the VMs on the first Host. Also with the Primary Firewall.

Attached my Logs.

Regards
  • New Update. Explain of my Firewalls:

Firewall 1 - Master
    NIC WAN MAC 123
    NIC DMZ  MAC 122
    NIC LAN   MAC 121
    NIC HA     MAC 120

Firewall 2 - Slave
    NIC WAN MAC 133
    NIC DMZ  MAC 132
    NIC LAN   MAC 131
    NIC HA     MAC 130

When my Master Firewall is Active I see the MAC Address of Firewall 1 in Webadmin.
    When I switch to my Slave Firewall witch is Firewall2, the salve firewall uses the same MAC Addresses as the Master Firewall.
    I think that's the problem.
    VMWare sees 2 Firewalls with the same MAC Addresses.
  • I believe I'm seeing this same problem.  I run an active/passive HA cluster on 2 stand alone ESXi 5.1 servers.
    I just upgrade via Up2Date from 9.006-5 to 9.100-16, and now all the guests on the host with the passive node can't ping the gateway.  I shut down the passive node, everything starts talking again.  I'm not seeing any problem with the 2 nodes talking to each other, the syncing to active time is the same it's always been.
    Virtual MAC addresses have been turned off since I put this cluster in to place because I was seeing this exact issue (confirmed 'cc get ha advanced virtual_mac' returns 0).  But, ifconfig is showing the same HWaddr on both nodes for all interfaces except the HA sync interface.