Beta UI Changes Planned

We've received quite a bit of feedback so far on the usability of Project Copernicus. Going into the beta, there were some things we knew we would hear. We knew there would be some pain from features you're used to, but haven't been included yet. We knew that the new menu layout would cause some confusion, as it's very different. We knew that there would be some learning pain, since the security policies are quite different, also.

Any change brings some adjustment, so these were all things we expected, but what we didn't know, was what items would cause the most pain, and would everything we designed be truly as usable as we hoped. 

From your feedback, we've decided to make a few notable changes, which we hope to finish in time for the next beta build. The most dramatic issues were that because items are more spread out in the menus, it's harder to get things done. We hoped to have a few more bits in place, like more in-line object creation and editing, and several more pages consolidated. But the reality of any development project, is that everything takes time, and some features take longer than you have, to finish. The end result, was that you do need to visit more pages, that are further apart from each other, to get some basic tasks done. 

So to address this, we will re-organize the system menu, into a more feature oriented layout. Just to give a taste, the first level items will look something like this:

• network
  • routing
  • vpn
  • administration
  • Authentication
  • Wireless Protection
  • Web Protection
  • Application Protection
  • Web Server Protection
  • Email Protection
  • system services
  • current activity
  • diagnostics

We won't change the object catalog at all, but we will link to some catalog items directly from the system menu as well. So under Wireless Protection, for instance, you'll find items like this:

• wireless networks
  • mesh networks
  • Access Points
  • Access Point Groups

Hopefully, this will make the menus a bit more discoverable to new users.

The second major change we're planning, is some re-arrangement of the policy rules tables, and rule types. There were some well thought out reasons to organize things the way they are now, but choosing a user versus a network rule is sometimes confusing. The differences between them can seem subtle at times. The primary difference is that user rules require and expect user identity to be present, and won't match against IPs that we haven't been able to identify a user for.  So instead, we'll combine them, and you'll have two rule choices: "User / Network Rule" and "Business Application Rule" When you choose a user or network rule, and require identity, it will display as a user rule. otherwise, it will display as a network rule. making that choice implicit with the key piece of the rule that differentiates it. Second, we won't separate them into separate tables. You'll be able to create user rules, then create a network rule above them, to override some specific behavior, or vice versa. This should make working with rules, just a bit easier, and even more powerful. 

Third, there are a number of general usability improvements, from better default definitions, to enabling some features by default, and other changes. these will be much smaller changes, but hopefully will make some positive impacts. All of these changes are in progress, but still a little while out. The next beta build is planned for earlier in September, so we've got a little time yet, before we can get these to you, but there's still lots to test in the mean-time. 

Keep the feedback coming. You've been providing great info so far! 

From the Sophos PM and dev teams, I just wanted to share a big thank you to all of you! Keep it up! 

Cheers,
-AlanT
  • Looking forward to see how the next beta build shapes up.  Thanks for the update Alan.
  • The UI from Sophos UTM is one of the best. This was the decision for  formerly Astaro UTM and not for Sonicwall. And now, we have Sonicwall  structures in the UI of Copernicus. Which Designer had this bad idea?
    I hope the next BETA Release follows a logical structure in the UI. Bundle it, what belongs together.

I agree with q2srw77...
  • Sophos needs to remember their tag line.
    Security made easier.

Easier = Intuitive. You do not want to be chasing all over the place to be doing common tasks.

Why not make a customisable common task menu where "US" the operators can add common options "WE" use say like the old drop down box for "system messages"

Marks thoughts
  • I totaly agree with other guys. We chose Astaro because for best GUI. I worked with many vendors (Checkpoint, Fortinet, Sonicwall, Barracuda, etc....) and Astaro is best interface I ever worked with. 
    Best idea was to improve the Astaro GUI with more widgets and other reports. Easy to use. Even my manager, after 2 hours, was able to create firewall rules, nat, vpn settings and email changes without calling me. 
    Hope that Sophos will impress us regarding gui and menu options places. We should give them time to think about!!!!!
    Anyway, we will be back with feedback!!!
  • I have used many different vendors products.  When I finally sat down to give Sophos UTM a drive, I repeatedly found myself saying "where have you been all my life!".  The elegance of the UI and ease of use was extraordinarily impressive.  

With Copernicus, I find myself asking "just what was the problem Sophos was trying to solve?".  Sophos is doing all the right things by doing the beta, listening to customers, and making changes based on the input.   But, I haven't been able to convince myself that it is an evolutionary improvement.
  • Totally agree with the People. The astaro ui is the best Administration Interface i've ever worked with. I also tested the copernicus beta and just quitted after a few minutes, because of the new ui. I hope your future changes will get a huge step backwards to the astaro ui.
  • Installed current Beta (Aug 27th) on Intel Quad Core (older) system, SSD, 8GB ram, etc.

Installs w/no apparent error but fails booting and then basically hangs.
    Suggestions appreciated.

cs

Charles Sterling CISSP

• @chasster123, can you start a new thread for discussion on this problem? 

@ddcool, I agree that UTM9 is a fantastic UI, and we have some work to do to be as good as it is, in some areas. I've worked on UTM9, ASG8, etc.. for the past decade, and there's a lot bits of small finish and completeness we need to catch up on. But the problem with UTM9, is that it has other limitations. And even in UI, it's not always the pinnacle of success. Creating web and application policies (which are heavily related to each other in nature) are completely separate and unrelated in UTM9. Moving forward, means we need to 

Webserver protection is powerful, but setup is spread across 7 tabs, and there's not an obvious path on where you should go next, when setting up protection. 

Server load balancing and DNAT/full nat rules are very closely related, but in completely separate parts of the product, and you can't switch from one to the other if you need to. Also, there's separate capabilities between both of them. In Copernicus, these are both unified, along with webserver protection, into a business application policy. We have some streamlining of the UI to do in many areas, but we've simplified the effort in finding and implementing the types of policies you need in Copernicus.  

There are a few other areas where we've tried to similarly simplify things, such as IPS and QoS. So I expect that these things are generally better in Copernicus. Overall, UTM9 UI does have more polish and finish, and if Copernicus doesn't meet your needs just yet, just be patient. There's no rush to switch over to it. If you can take the time to help us through the beta and share your feedback, it will make for a better product in future, when I hope it will be the product you want to switch to. In the mean-time, you might be surprised once you start using it more. There's definitely a lot to like in Copernicus!

• ....In the mean-time, you might be surprised once you start using it more. There's definitely a lot to like in Copernicus!

Definately agree. There´s still lot´s of things in Copernicus workflows (best practice to start config a Copernicus) and UI which I´m quite sure will get better over time. But after setting up some test and demo appliances and on the way to migrate my home UTM to Copernicus too I also have to agree there´s also lot of benefits and cool stuff as the mentioned QoS and IPS set per policy or user (group), the zone concept and userbased app control.

But it was first a hard first step to become little familiar with the new concept of designing policies, but it becomes more familiar every day.

In terms of UI and ergonomy a Astaro/Sophos UTM has set a high benchmark / expectation and is hard to beat [:D] . But I´m also sure we will see lots of useablity optimizations until V1 GA, and surely more on the way to V2, which will definately raise the fun level to work with copernicus massively for sure.
  • Hi Sascha,
    I am having issues with throughput on my test system, I was wondering what sort of throughput you have seen on your home system?

Ian