QoS - Uplink bandwidth management

Hello,

we have an ASG 220 appliance in use and are planning to activate QoS on the WAN interface (outbound). Before we hit the button there are some questions we were not able to resolve reading the documentation:

1. Traffic selectors > The v8.2 documentation states "Select if you want to use the TOS/DSCP field in the IP header to mark priority traffic. For example, in large VoIP installations, the TOS/DSCP flag is often used to mark VoIP traffic. If you do not want to reserve a fixed bandwidth for VoIP connections based on VoIP protocols, select the TOS-bits or DSCP bits used within your VoIP environment" The questions:

1.a) Are the packets really marked/mangled (DSCP value (re)written). Or is this rather a matching/selecting criteria?

1.b) What is meant with If you do not want to reserve a fixed bandwidth? Is there any QoS-Mechanism active without assigning the traffic selector to a bandwidth pool? If so, which?

2. Bandwidth pools > Supposed there is a bandwidth of 1000 kb/s assigned to VoIP-Traffic (10 VoIP lines): Does the complete configured bandwidth get reserved the moment the first 100 kb/s VoIP-line opens or does the bandwidth fill up dynamically? The latter would be the ideal case as 1 VoIP-line would not throttle the rest of the traffic too much.

Thanks for helping. Marko.
Parents
  • There's no way I know of in the UTM to create a Static Route based on DSCP bits.  The only place where they can be used is in QoS.  I'm not certain that I understand what you need, but there might be a different approach...

You might take a look at the double-failover scenario I described recently.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • There's no way I know of in the UTM to create a Static Route based on DSCP bits.  The only place where they can be used is in QoS.  I'm not certain that I understand what you need, but there might be a different approach...

You might take a look at the double-failover scenario I described recently.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data