Route propagation from VPN

Hi,

I am using UTM Essential Firewall (version 9.209, due to an issue in the current version) and I have a site to site VPN connection to AWS.  AWS is set to propagate routes across the connection to my local network, but I am not seeing the routes on my local network.   Is there a way to ensure that the firewall is in fact passing along the routes and that nothing is blocking them?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn Kovalchick
  • Hi, Shawn, and welcome to the User BB!

I guess that you are within the 30 day trial period.  During this time, all of the features and functions of the full UTM package work. At the end of that time, a Network Protection subscription will be required for VPC to function.

I guess that you have a misconfiguration at Amazon, and that it will take an experienced person to help you find the problem. Sophos has excellent pre-sales support engineers, so I would ask your reseller to get Sophos involved.

Sorry for any short responses.  Posted from my iPhone.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi BAlfson,

I'm not sure what you mean by a 30 day trial period.  As I understand it, the UTM Essential Firewall is free for business use.  I am using the license generated from https://myutm.sophos.com/licenses.php.

The (scrubbed) details of the license are:
    Name: Astaro Essential Firewall Edition
    License Type: UNLIMITED
    License Model: New
    Registration Date: 
    End Date: Never
    License Mode: OnDemand
    Protected IPs: UNLIMITED
    Concurrent Connections: unlimited
    Special: None
    SiteLicense: OFF
    Cluster Nodes: 0
    OEM: off

Aside from that, AFAIK, the route is getting propagated from the AWS side, but it is not getting pushed to my local network.  Everything is fine up to and including the firewall, but to have anything actually connect through the firewall, I have to manually add the route on the host trying to establish the connection.  (route add  )

Again, thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks,
    Shawn Kovalchick
  • The Amazon VPC Status page does include the following line, indicating that the route is making it over from AWS:

BGP: State Established / Uptime 2d19h22m / Routes 
  • Shawn, please contact your reseller.  Network Protection is required and is not free.  Check 'Management >> Licensing' to confirm that you are within the 30-day trial.  There's no point in wasting your time resolving the VPC problem if management won't pay for the subscription.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA