What's really included, I mean....

I was just reading the PDF about the Free Business firewall features, and I wanted to make sure I really understood what is included, what is not...

So I 'think' I read this

no count limit, 
no interface limit
no openvpn
no user portal

but

there's a thing called "local user authentication"
what is that ? what is it VS user portal ?

also

"automatic pattern up2date" , what for ? for SPI ?

finally "limit GUI network access" what is that ?

any input appreciated

thanks
Parents
  • Ok, sorry. Obviously Google IS already your friend [;)]

Then I'll try to answer your questions:

there's a thing called "local user authentication"
    what is that ? what is it VS user portal ?
    ==> While the full featured UTM can work with "Remote users" too, which means you can connect a UTM to a AD, eDirectory, LDAP, Radius or TACACS+ directory service besides of users created locally on te UTM and use them in the different parts where we work with authentication (all portals, proxies, VPN etc.), the Essential Firewall only supports locally created users/groups, and no backend directory service connection.
    ==> I don understand your "what is it VS user portal" question. But The user portal itself is a portal running on the UTM, where users can log in and do different userspecific things as download preconfigured VPN Clients / Configurations, manage their personal spam quarantine, white and blacklists and more stuff...

"automatic pattern up2date" , what for ? for SPI ?
    ==> "Yes". Essential Firewall also includes the GeoIP based Country Blocking feature, and this country data is regularly updated via pattern.

finally "limit GUI network access" what is that ?
    ==> There is also the Webadmin Access tab, where you can restrict source networks, which are able to cnonect to the webadmin. This is mentioned, as some cheapo routers/firewalls available on the market does not support that, and are also always reachable from internet, which is - especially in the case of noobs which lets the default password on their systems - a improvement [:D]

Hope that helps...
  • Sasha most of what you wrote is crystal clear, it helps a lot!

==> While the full featured UTM can work with "Remote users" too, which means you can connect a UTM to a AD, eDirectory, LDAP, Radius or TACACS+ directory service besides of users created locally on te UTM and use them in the different parts where we work with authentication (all portals, proxies, VPN etc.), the Essential Firewall only supports locally created users/groups, and no backend directory service connection.

I don understand your "what is it VS user portal" question. 
     "Yes". Essential Firewall also includes the GeoIP based Country Blocking feature, and this country data is regularly updated via pattern.
     There is also the Webadmin Access tab, where you can restrict source networks, which are able to cnonect to the webadmin. This is mentioned, as some cheapo routers/firewalls available on the market does not support that, and are also always reachable from internet, which is - especially in the case of noobs which lets the default password on their systems - a improvement [:D]
  • Sasha most of what you wrote is crystal clear, it helps a lot!

I don understand your "what is it VS user portal" question. 
     "Yes". Essential Firewall also includes the GeoIP based Country Blocking feature, and this country data is regularly updated via pattern.
     There is also the Webadmin Access tab, where you can restrict source networks, which are able to cnonect to the webadmin. This is mentioned, as some cheapo routers/firewalls available on the market does not support that, and are also always reachable from internet, which is - especially in the case of noobs which lets the default password on their systems - a improvement [:D]
Children
No Data