Specific IP and route settings

Hi!

I'm trying out UTM 9 for a small virtual cluster I'm hosting with OVH.
They have a funny way of assigning extra IP addresses to devices and I'm having a hard time getting it configured in Sophos.

This is what it should be in a run-of-the-mill debian distro. And this works.

auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 178.x.x.31
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast 178.x.x.31
post-up route add 37.x.x.254 dev eth0
post-up route add default gw 37.x.x.254
post-down route del 37.x.x.254 dev eth0
post-down route del default gw 37.x.x.254

178.x.x.31 = IP address of the VM
37.x.x.x = IP address of my ESX host

From a networking point of view this doesn't make any sense, I know. But can it be done?
Parents Reply Children
  • What if you have multiple failover interfaces created? Say you have an OVH failover block such as

192.168.142.1 -32

the ovh gateway would likely be something like:

therefore, on each failover ip address, the same gateway of 192.168.32.254 must be used. However, my experience has been that, when trying to use the same gateway address for the different failovers, I receive an error that this address is already being used. Could someone please help? Recap:

I need:

192.168.142.1-32
    Each configured to a seperate vitrual switch created inside esxi and given the requied ovh MAC address. Each must use the same gateway address of:

All interfaces must use the /32 netmask to prevent arp requests and is a mandatory OVH requirement.

This may not look like it makes sense, but it is a manditory requirement for use in OVH networks.
  • I got it to work.

Added a static interface route to the required ip and set the required default gateway on the interface settings.

Hi

Is there a way you can post a quick guide on how you setup the UTM with OVH Failover IP when using a ESXi host?

Thanks