essential + wifi what are my options

i would love to get another asg for our second office but i dont want a whole lot of recurring expense

if i wanted to get the asg110 or 120

what are my options for wifi
do i have to use teh ap30-50
do i need to have the wifi licences?

can i use a 3rd party ap?

thanks

Robert
  • Robert,

There would have to be too much back and forth here to get you the best solution.  I bet you and your reseller could resolve this in a five minute phone call.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • if i wanted to get the asg110 or 120

what are my options for wifi
    do i have to use teh ap30-50
    do i need to have the wifi licences?

can i use a 3rd party ap?

Hi Robert,

Bob is correct in that you should speak with your Astaro partner. They can determine if the ASG WiFi is a good fit or not.

That said, I can toss a few answers your way.

1) If you want to use Astaro's WiFi controller, you do need to use the AP10/30/50. 3rd party WiFi AP's are not supported by the controller. You also have to pay for the WiFi subscription.

2) You can still use a 3rd party WiFi, I have three offices w/ WiFi, but you have to manually config the WiFi yourself. There's no cost to this other then buying the WiFi AP's.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) If you use a 3rd party WiFi, you have to isolate the AP's on their own physical network if you want isolation, or use VLAN capable AP's (we use Engenius EAP-9550's). Astaro's AP series (correct me if I'm wrong Bob) don't require anything special as they isolate/tunnel the traffic back to the ASG.

2) Astaro's WiFi controller is a tradeoff. The tradeoff is subscription cost vs admin time. How many AP's do you have and how much time do you spend managing them? I don't know what your price quote was but from prices I've seen, the cost of a 5 year subscription for WiFi on an ASG 120 works out to $20-$30 month. My charge out rate internally within our company is $40/hr. How many hours a month you think I spend managing WiFi? Better then 1hr for sure. [:)]
  • I'm using the Ubiquiti Unifi AP's which are very cheap, no subscription and have a decently simple controller. But like was said above, you have to compare it yourself, there's nothing stopping you using any solution.

I'm not sure what company manufactures the AP10/30/50?
  • I am running asg110 since last six month and I am using  tech ap30-50. And there is one thing I tel you that you have no any need to have a wifi license. There is no legal issue to have it or not.
    Learn How to Trade Forex
  • Stocky,
    I think you have misunderstood the posts above, you need at the very least a Sophos UTM wireless licence, now if you have the full guard package the licence comes as part of that.

Ian