[8.285][QUESTION][OPEN] RED : Presto you have a Tunnel ?

Site-to-Site VPN using RED Protocol
    We have added the ability to make tunnels between ASG devices using our much-heralded RED tunnel technology. This operates similarly to how site-site over SSL works;
        Login to the main site, go to the RED section, add a RED, and pick type "ASG".
        Download the provisioning file which is created
        Login to the remote site, go to the Client [Tunnel Management] tab in RED
        Add a tunnel, enter the hostname of the ASG and supply the provisioning file you downloaded.
        Presto, you'll have a tunnel!

*Note: this will NOT turn your remote ASG into a RED terminal. It will still have a GUI and work like a normal Site-Site VPN does.
        *Note 2: We will likely move this feature into the VPN section in a future 8.3 Beta release.

All done - tunnel is up but no traffic thru it - just ping / pong.

Documentation on this is missing - so for someone trying out RED for the very first time in ASG to ASG this is far more confusing than site2site vpn - not much presto about it.

Could someone explain what the thoughts about ASG's as RED is? Are you suppose to add routes and firewall rules your self or ?
Basically this feature seems to be a little in the dark where you have to figure out how the developer put it together.

I really want to test this part in its full extent..
Parents
  • disabled the IPSec Site2Site VPN

Poul, I never thought to ask about that - ouch, no wonder a second VPN for the same subnets didn't work! [:)]

Sven, it's been over a year since I last played with this, but I know I didn't use OSPF.  I just played with it though, and I don't remember how extensively I tested it.  Since this is, in essence, a RED device as far as the ASG 220 is concerned, I don't understand why routes and/or OSPF should be necessary, although I understand that it will work with them.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • disabled the IPSec Site2Site VPN

Poul, I never thought to ask about that - ouch, no wonder a second VPN for the same subnets didn't work! [:)]

Sven, it's been over a year since I last played with this, but I know I didn't use OSPF.  I just played with it though, and I don't remember how extensively I tested it.  Since this is, in essence, a RED device as far as the ASG 220 is concerned, I don't understand why routes and/or OSPF should be necessary, although I understand that it will work with them.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Bob .. The Site2Site was disabled when I last played with it also... so I "think" it must have been old routes or something disturbing the picture.

I believe you need OSPF because in the ASG as RED ( hereforth ASGaR ;-) ) does not leave you the option to define split network or dns. It will just create an encrypted tunnel, not in any way being on top of the routes to it.

Anyhow.. next stop will be to get Netbios to work thru this and network neighborhood discovery. That would be the accounting gals happy. This part is not working but is green in the PF.

Cheers