[8.174][INFO][NONE] HTTP Proxy Memory Usage

Since the release date is coming up soon, I just wanted to give the developers a heads up on http proxy memory usage. The proxy is using about 1gb ram (RES) after a couple of days under light usage. I am using local content database which is adding about 250MB to the memory usage. But even then, 2GB ram is not enough in my opinion to run astaro for 3 users. 

I understand that with the addition of L7 filtration, the proxy memory usage has increased but this will cause problems on smaller appliances under heavy loads in the future and the minimum requirement probably should be bumped up to 4GB.

Screenshots:
1. Initial memory usage after 8.173 clean install.
2. 8.174 Memory usage after 2 days.
3. 8.174 memory usage after proxy restart.

Regards
Bill.

P.S. Had to restart the proxy because it had become very slow. I will monitor that more closely. It would have been nice to see the access time to troubleshoot but its gone [;)]
Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks for the input guys, I am running astaro on esxi so will allocate probably 4gb memory to it. I had used the disk option before the beta when my old PC had only 1gb ram and it ran without problems.

Like I said previously, I don't really have the slow browsing problem that some people like william had experienced in their setups but the local db definitely makes the browsing a tad more snappier even for me. 

The difference in memory usage with local db in memory has increased drastically with 8.2 compared to the previous versions which is probably one of the reasons it was not included as a user configurable option via webadmin in this release.

Regards
    Bill.
  • ...Since then, nobody cared enough to provide this information...

Actually right after Sven's post, I had posted my findings on the first page of this thread. 
    I need snapshots from 'top' too, so we can see how much of that RAM is dedicated to the HTTP-Proxy.

Again all that information is on the first page. You can look at both with database in memory and without memory. Its a difference of about 800mb RES and about 1.3gb VIRT but according to Sven, 
    ...The DB itself takes around ~300-400MB RES...

So the unsupported feature is taking a lot more ram than predicted by the developer after just 2 days under light load.
    ..... We still have a whole lot of 512K and 1GB boxes out there that aren't capable of handling that extra load.
    The feature will stay in the ASG, but please don't hold your breath while waiting for a button in the webadmin...

Again I concluded this on first page
    ....The difference in memory usage with local db in memory has increased drastically with 8.2 compared to the previous versions which is probably one of the reasons it was not included as a user configurable option via webadmin in this release...

Please keep in mind, that we appreciate all the developers and people like Sven that take the time to interact with us are specially appreciated. I am sure he will find an answer to this unusually high ram usage when the db is in memory. Also, the memory usage keeps on increasing as observed by others also with the db in memory so it is the "Technical Preview" feature that is suffering in this release[:P]
    Regards
    Bill