[8.070][QUESTION][ANSWERED] One more paravirtualization technology, but again, no XEN support

So what about it?

Promised for 8, promised for 8.1, how hard can it be to just set 2 kernel options and provide an additional XEN kernel?
Parents
  • As far as i understand it, we already have the necessary virtualization support built into the kernel of Version 8.100 and the current beta versions. You can try this for yourselves by entering the following on the command line in a console (or ssh) session:

[font="Courier New"]grep _VIRT /boot/config*[/font]

The main problem now is, that the installer doesn't allow you to select that hardware, because the installer doesn't know how to handle these devices. A second problem is, that you can't change it after installation, changing the disk (block-io) device after installation simply crashes the whole box. We're working on this with a high priority, but it seems like we're not getting the necessary changes into the installer for 8.100 any more. It is on the roadmap for Version 8.200, but i cannot go into detail on the schedule of that version (yet).

Sorry,
    Kai
  • As far as i understand it, we already have the necessary virtualization support built into the kernel of Version 8.100 and the current beta versions. You can try this for yourselves by entering the following on the command line in a console (or ssh) session:

[font="Courier New"]grep _VIRT /boot/config*[/font]

The main problem now is, that the installer doesn't allow you to select that hardware, because the installer doesn't know how to handle these devices. A second problem is, that you can't change it after installation, changing the disk (block-io) device after installation simply crashes the whole box. We're working on this with a high priority, but it seems like we're not getting the necessary changes into the installer for 8.100 any more. It is on the roadmap for Version 8.200, but i cannot go into detail on the schedule of that version (yet).

Sorry,
    Kai
Children
No Data