[7.950][QUESTION][OPEN] Config file from 7.912 breaks 7.950

Good Morning,

I haven't had any issues until now with the beta other than those issues already mentioned on the board.  Due to work I have not been able to update to the latest versions as they came out over the last few weeks and have been running 7.912.

Last night I tried to update 7.912 to the 7.20 release with Up2Date and it loaded put would not accept connections from either end.  

I reinstalled the original beta version and updated to 7.912 thru Up2Date.  I then disabled IPS in the config.  I was thinking that the IPS may have been causing the connection issues.

I then downloaded the 7.950 iso and installed it fresh and when I imported my config file with IPS disabled from the 7.912 install I was still not able to make a connection to Webadmin from either side of the ASG.

I have some preaty old hardware that I have been using for these beta's, but it is just a home lab with a mail server and 4 clients behind it.  It's an old HP Kayak Dual PII-450mhz with 1GB ram and 4 NICs.

Up until this point I had no issues.  Webadmin has been slow but usable for the purpose of the test environment I have.
  • Astaro Beta Report
    --------------------------------
    Version: 7.950
    Type: QUESTION
    State: OPEN
    Reporter: ebrandt+++
    Contributor: Tegra, RFCat_vk
    MantisID: 
    Target version: 
    Fixed in version: 
    --------------------------------

• Hi,
    what does ifconfig show from the console?

Did you have any special setups on the NICs that would require one NIC connected to a specific device? The NICs might be reversed, try swapping the cables over.

Ian M
  • No cables have been reversed and the config works fine when I restore it to version 7.912.

I have not gone into the console before.  When I try to logon at the console I use admin and the pasword I use at webamin but it says invalid logon.
  • I found how to get into the console from other posts. I am at work right now, but I will see what ifconfig shows when I get home.

Are you thinking along the lines of the interfaces getting reversed from the restore of the config file?
  • Are you thinking along the lines of the interfaces getting reversed from the restore of the config file?

This is one aspect that might cause the problems that you are experiencing.

The other aspect is that you run into a timeout during the start of the IPS subssystem, which then leaves the system in a state where it simply drops almost all of the traffic.

Since you mentioned that you're running a 450Mhz Pentium-2: i doubt that enabling the IPS subsystem on your hardware is a good idea at all. Somewhere in the Release-Announcement is a paragraph with "minimum system requirements" that mentions 1GHz as the minimum clock frequency ;-)
  • I will give it a go when I get home tonight and see if the interfaces got swapped around.  

I know its way below specs, but its all I have at the momment.  I have parts for a i7 with 12GB ram to use for my lab environment with VMWorkstation so in about a week I will have that to run the beta on.
  • I will just right this off as hardware since I have been using a system below specs.  

I tried going from 7.912 to 7.920 so I could go to 7.950.  After running up2date to 7.920 with IPS turned off I logged into the console and both used interfaces were showing up and when I pinged both interfaces from the console I got "Operation Not Permitted".  The cables never changed and the interfaces remained at the same configuration as when it was at 7.912 and working.  

I guess I will call this old system EOL, but luckly it has run Astaro in my lab since V6 upto 7.912.

Thank you all for your input.  At least I have new hardware on the way for my home lab.
  • Before you give up completely, can you try to install a 7.950 (or the 7.951 scehduled forthis week) from scratch and import a backup from you old system? There's been a known but hard to reproduce issue with updating through the up2date-process from Versions older than 7.921.
  • I had already tried a clean install of 7.950 and restored my config from 7.912.  I had the same results with no connectivity or webadmin.  I didn't do an ifconfig or ping from the console that time, but I will be happy to retest that and do the ping from console if that will provide neeed info for you.  I will be away from my house for a few days but I will gladly do it when I return.
  • Had a similar issue where new firmware was available (uploaded manually) but a scheduled or manual update would not take place.

There was no internet access for clients.

Finally rebuilt system with full 7.951 and it very nicely grabbed the backup for usb drive.

Should not have wasted time and done this sooner.

Tom