[7.395] Strange CPU graphs

I've just noticed that my CPU graphs have frequent spikes growing throughout each day.

They stop at midnight, and can be seen growing from about 3am until they hit 100% around 11am, and remain at 100% through the day.

Also, when I run 'top', I frequently find postgres running at 100% for exactly 5 minutes, before being recycled(?) to a new process, which immediately drops to 0% CPU.
The postgres processes may be related to webmin use, but I am unable to consistently reproduce it, and I am staying out of the accounting pages (which are slow for me).

Barry
Parents Reply Children
  • Yes, in production, we will be moving our DL145 to replace the PE1550 as soon as we can; the PE1550 is just temporary while we move.

Nonetheless, if an Astaro appliance is using a lot of CPU, it seems like it could be an issue.
    How old is yours?

Barry
  • Barry, I just picked up an HP DL380 G4 dual 3.4GHz XEON with 4GB and no hard drives (have some) for under $300 including shipping.  It's actually to replace our Small Business Server so we can get rid of the tape drive and just backup to USB hard drives (G4s have USB 2.0).

There are some great deals on the DL360 G4s also.  They, like the DL145, just take two drives (it's 1U), but they also can have dual hot-swap power supplies.  As you know, the neat thing about the ProLiants is that they do RAID in the controller instead of using software.  Configure two drives in RAID 1+0 and you have an incredible base for running Astaro.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I wanted to get a DL365, but we didn't have the budget for it, and we're not allowed to buy used unless there's no alternative.

Thanks,
    Barry