ASG management console & Apple iPhone

While working on a project involving WAP/VPNs and ASG, it occurred to me to check whether/how the new Apple iPhones support VPN.

from support.apple.com:
iPhone or iPod touch devices with iPhone 2.0 software or later can connect to VPNs that use the L2TP, PPTP or Cisco IPSec VPN protocols. VPN works over both Wi-Fi and cellular data network connections.

Has anyone tested to see if the ASG management console displays correctly and is functional (can click on things and change settings) on the iPhone/iTouch?  Prior to these new 3g phones the display size and speed would preclude the ability to effectively check and manage.
Parents
  • Because of the way AT&T keeps giving the iPhone different IPs (or maybe all 3G does this), it's not possible to use DynDNS, so the only way to access the Astaro console is through a VPN.

I access our Astaro and those of our clients with my iPhone via VPN to our Astaro.

Is that what you were looking for?

Yours - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Because of the way AT&T keeps giving the iPhone different IPs (or maybe all3G does this), it's not possible to use DynDNS, so the only way to access the Astaro console is through a VPN.

I access our Astaro and those of our clients with my iPhone via VPN to our Astaro.

Is that what you were looking for?

Yours - Bob

----------------------
    Yes, exactly... and a picture of the asg console on your iphone would be helpful too. If we can manage from the iphone via vpn, i'm going to go buy two of the new iphones on monday and put it on my corporate credit card as part of my 'testing.'
  • This what you had in mind?

Yours - Bob
    PS I would also recommend you buy WinAdmin if you want to do Remote Desktop with Windows servers.  It costs $11.99 each, but the free apps to do RD are worthless.  In the free utility apps, FreePing is a must-have [SIZE="1"],and AirSharing is a handy tool for mounting the iPod as a drive on your PC/Mac if you have WiFi[/SIZE].

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA

Yours - Bob
    PS I would also recommend you buy WinAdmin if you want to do Remote Desktop with Windows servers.  It costs $11.99 each, but the free apps to do RD are worthless.  In the free utility apps, FreePing is a must-have [SIZE="1"],and AirSharing is a handy tool for mounting the iPod as a drive on your PC/Mac if you have WiFi[/SIZE].

As an update, I used my corporate credit card to buy a nice new iphone and took abotu a day of fiddling with it to get it working with the current beta version, once I got it working, I went out and bought a second iphone and did the same thing.  Held a meeting with the technology VP/CIO, firewall admin, and data center director; showcased the phones, and gave them to the guys. They were duly impressed (to say the least) with the ability to manage securely and remotely.  

With threat response time and round-the-clock-remote-monitoring being key factors in the decision-making tree, never before have this level of portability and accessability been so convienent.

Yours - Bob

As an update, I used my corporate credit card to buy a nice new iphone and took abotu a day of fiddling with it to get it working with the current beta version, once I got it working, I went out and bought a second iphone and did the same thing.  Held a meeting with the technology VP/CIO, firewall admin, and data center director; showcased the phones, and gave them to the guys. They were duly impressed (to say the least) with the ability to manage securely and remotely.  

With threat response time and round-the-clock-remote-monitoring being key factors in the decision-making tree, never before have this level of portability and accessability been so convienent.
Children
No Data