[7.300] possible Up2Date issue [NOTABUG]

Wanted to update my production system from 7.202 to 7.300.  Have been getting error code 500 from each up2date server since the package was released yesterday morning.  I realize this is due to file replication being very slow this time with the package being so large (I noticed that it took all night long for ftp.astaro.com to populate 7.300 even though ftp.astaro.de has had it since yesterday morning.).

One thing I saw is that from the time that my Astaro box detected that there was a "firmware" package to download, it regularly checked for a server to download it from, but also stopped updating signatures.  Is this normal behavior, to focus on one package to the exclusion of others?  If so, this would be a security risk, especially with a very large package that could take days to get, if a new 0day threat came out during that period.
Parents
  • Wanted to update my production system from 7.202 to 7.300.  Have been getting error code 500 from each up2date server since the package was released yesterday morning.  I realize this is due to file replication being very slow this time with the package being so large (I noticed that it took all night long for ftp.astaro.com to populate 7.300 even though ftp.astaro.de has had it since yesterday morning.).

One thing I saw is that from the time that my Astaro box detected that there was a "firmware" package to download, it regularly checked for a server to download it from, but also stopped updating signatures.  Is this normal behavior, to focus on one package to the exclusion of others?  If so, this would be a security risk, especially with a very large package that could take days to get, if a new 0day threat came out during that period.

Hello Scott_Klassen

I have the same problem as you discribe, I run version 7.202 and can not update.
    astaro keeps telling me there is A new firmware to download.

hi-soft
  • Hi

I had the same problem, updating my 7.202 boxes to 7.300. They always showed me "update available for download".

I was able to work around this by downloading the update package from one of these Astaro servers (http://up2date.astaro.com/2008/08/up2date_asg_v7300_ga_released.html#more) manually and afterwards uploading the file to my ASG boxes.

After this, the update process could be started normally through webadmin and now my ASG320 boxes run fine with 7.300 (email encryption is great, thanks Astaro to give this feature for free to mail security subscriptions users !)

David
  • Hi there all,

please be patiened, the problem will resolve itself. 

The issue you are seeing is, that our up2date servers are overloaded.
    With currently arround 20.000 devices running asg v7 and an up2date package of the size 220MB, the servers need to deliver more than 4.2 TB of data.

Depending on where the servers are, they have 100MBit, 20MBit or 10MBit lines.

If all servers are equally utilizied, we can server currently 12-15 MB/sec at this speed, it will take more than four days to deliver the up2date to all devices.

If the servers are overloaded and their # of connections is exceede, they return a error 500, temporarily not available.

So if you wait until monday or thuesday, the package will be downloaded and you can install it.

We are aware that this is a status which needs to be improved, and we are currently on integration of a CDN (Content Distribution Network) like Akamai or Limelight into our Up2Date mechanism be deliver future system updates a lot faster. This will also improve the delivery time of pattern updates.

Thanks and best regards
    Gert
  • For the impatient, it might help if the update and ISO were available on BitTorrent.

Barry
  • I manually updated to 7.300 Friday night and signatures began updating again on Sunday.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
Reply Children
No Data