[7.260] v7.300 Feature questions Part 2 [NOTABUG]

Seeing as Tom is replying so quickly, I thought I would take a few moments to download the vmware astaro appliance and upgrade it to the latest beta so I could take a look.  

I have to say it is great to see so many of the missing and requested features in there now, it looks very good. Unfortunatley I couldn't test it with any live email but I have a few more questions about this new version.

In the old quarantine manager you could not view the content of some quarantined multipart/html emails, the message body would just show blank, you could view plain text ones ok though. is this still an issue ? 

Is it possible for you add the ability to exclude the firewall's email address from the top email senders and top email recipient statistics please?
As the firewall is nearly always in the top 10 on both!

You don't seem to be able to sort by recipient address in the quarantine area.

One of the feature requests I have mentioned in the past that would be very useful in the mail spool area is to be able to edit/correct the sender/recipient address before releasing, as often they are stuck due to a slight typing mistake but there is currently nothing you can do to correct them.

another feature idea has just come to my head, how about for those who cannot run recipient verification, in the quarantine area add the ability to click on the sender and add them straight to the email blacklist.

Another outstanding feature request is to be able to restrict a firewall admin user to just the mail admin area.  (I know Roles need implemeting throughout the whole webadmin, but how about starting with this area) as I want my helpdesk staff to be able to release emails etc, but not touch the rest of the firewall.

Lastly, Tom please can you answer my other 2 points in my other thread https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/93/t/66792 about, png graphics  in the executive report and the use of service groups in policy based rules being broken in V7 (which I have just tested and is still broken).

Again well done on this new release and thanks for all your hard work.
Parents
  • 1) we do not try to render the emails any more. Given the increasing number of JS related exploits, this makes sense. We do provide a "source" view, including message headers. If you still want to view a message rendered, choose "download" and assign the ".msg" extension to an email application, e.g. Thunderbird.

2) I'll  forward that to the reporting team.

3) if you look for a specific recipient, use the string filter instead. Sorting isn't really useful for finding things [:)]

4) adding recipients to quarantines messages is on the wishlist, but not in 7.300.

5) the same is true for Mail Manager whitelist/blacklist (also host) integration.

6) Due to our fully integrated config concept, there are problems with strict priviledge separation in webadmin. We may however split out the "mail management" parts by other means ...

• 3) if you look for a specific recipient, use the string filter instead. Sorting isn't really useful for finding things [[:)]]

4) adding recipients to quarantines messages is on the wishlist, but not in 7.300.

Let me explain why point 3 would be useful, often email harvested spam lists harvest the incorrect email address and spam the same incorrect addresses day after day, if you can sort the list by recipient, then it makes easier when selecting groups of email for deletion. In this instance you would not want to keep typing in the incorrect recipient address you are looking for each time.  If you have added the facility to sort by sender address (which most spammers change each time) it can't take much coding to add sort by recipient!  (Have I won you over yet?) [[:)]].

About point 4) its not about adding recipients to quarantined mesages, it is being able to edit the ones that are already there because the reason they can't be delivered is because they are spelt slightly wrong.
  • If you get mail for non-existing addresses in the quarantine, it looks like recipient verification does not work for you. Maybe 7.300 can help you there, because it supports recipient verification in active directory. This would also solve your "sort-by-recipient" use case. Anyway, you are right about the fact that it is easy to code, so it might still make it.

Regarding 4), this won't happen with recipient verification too. [:)] I want to have the option to add recipient so the admin can send himself a copy too when he releases a message.

/tom
  • Hi Tom,

I have a home user license and recently upgraded to 7.300, when I enabled AD recipient check some emails to existing recipients was aslo getting rejected with "unknown user" errors. Log shows

id="1003" severity="info" sys="SecureMail" sub="smtp" name="email rejected" srcip="203.115.0.22" from="mh%40yyyyy.dk" to="hemal%40******x.lk" size="1024" reason="address_verification" extra="Address unknown"

even though hemal@******x.lk exists.

Could the problem be that the mail id contains %40 instead of @. Mail with the @ sign (as shown in the log) are accepted without a problem and also corectly being rejected if the user doen not exist. 

Thanks in advance 

Amal[:S]
  • %40 is a URL encoding, which is OK for web pages but not for SMTP.

Barry
  • Hi Barry,

I am not setting up the %40. It is being done by astaro or by the server sending the mail. Anyway its ony there for some mails and if I remove AD recipient filter they get delivered. 

Regards

Amal
Reply Children
No Data