v7.192 RC1] QOS and VoIP

Hi,
I have 2 VoIP services from different providers.
Tonight I decided to try implementing QOS on the VoIP services.
1 worked, 1 failed.
The failed service was caused by packets being dropped which when I removed the QOS the VoIP service started working again.
Both providers use different port configurations for RTP component of the call and this what was being blocked.
I haven't investigated the packet classifier yet. There are no indications of any blocks in the IM/P2P log yet. It does take a while before the reports are updated.

Ian M

re-did the rules and it works. Must be the strange setup and I got the destination/service combination correct this time.
see a later post in this thread for QOS details.
  • HI Ian, 

what did you configure in the QoS section?

Do you have VoIP Security enabled and how is it configured?

thx Gert
  • Hi Gert,
    I have VoIP security enabled. Both my VoIP providers do weird things with the RTP traffic.
    Both providers use UDP 5060 to register.
    I have packet filter rules in to allow the VoIP ATAs to access the relevant IP addresses with packet ranges as defined by the providers. I gave up trying to sort out the IP addresses they use so I created a range and that allowed 99% of the VoIP traffic through. I have deleted the two traffic selectors I created.

If you are interested in looking at the VoIP configuration you are welcome to logon to the ASG.

Ian M

In the QOS section I added two selectors, one for each ATA using the RTP service group I have created for each. The bandwidth was limited to peak 144kb with 96kb and minimum delay enabled. I put the selectors against the VoIP interface and also the external (ADSL) interface.
    After some thought I decided the VoIP interface didn't need the selectors assigned to it and removed them from it.
  • Hi Ian,

Can you show us your configuration? I also have two different providers and I want to try to set up QOS.

Thanks - I will post too once I see how you have things set.

Ray
  • Hi RockinRay,
    The following is the details of the provider that fails when I implement QOS.

VoIP traffic blocked when QOS implemented

Ports used by this provider
      UDP 5060: From sip.state.iinet.net.au
    UDP 35000-44999: From sip.state.iinet.net.au
    UDP CPE Port: The port your CPE uses for RTP, eg 8000-8001 or 5061 or 16384 for Netcomm V300 firmware v04
      The ATA provided is a Belkin that uses ports 8002-8003 see below

I tried inserting jpegs.

Ian M
  • More jpegs.

With the other provider, they use a range of IPs so I created a address group which I think might be a bit large but works. I couldn't use any because I found that the service was registering with a lot of other companies. I did complain to the provider and they fixed who was hacking (I think) into their system. I am using a Linsys 3102 for this provider.

SIP UDP 5060
    RTP see voip setup 7

Ian M

added QOS comment. QOS worked for this provider, at least it didn't stop the calls going through. I am not sure how you tell whether QOS is working or not.
  • This QOS configuration works for both providers. I now suspect I will need to add an incoming NAT rule to stop some of the dropped packets.

Ian M
  • I did not have any luck at all on 7.104. I have to try again.

We have both Vonage and AT&T CallVantage so this could be a challenge. 

I'll give this another shot this week and report back.

Ray