[7.190] Memory Usage Improvement

On 7.104, it consistently had memory usage at roughly 95% or higher for a 512MB RAM module.  It was always right on the cusp of running out of wired RAM.  I was seriously concerned that any further updates would be precluded by insufficient memory.

However, with 7.190 the usage is drastically reduced.  I run all the same services, yet my memory usage currently is at 440MB, or 74%.  Swap usage is currently 4% of 1GB.

I am positively thrilled with this new beta.
Parents
  • Actually Astaro is having to seriously neuter Linux's performance due to the number of asg 120's they have out that they are trying to shoehorn this product into.  Memory usage in Linux should hover around 90% at all times.  For Linux your true gauge is swap usage..as long as you aren't using much you are fine.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Actually Astaro is having to seriously neuter Linux's performance due to the number of asg 120's they have out that they are trying to shoehorn this product into.  Memory usage in Linux should hover around 90% at all times.  For Linux your true gauge is swap usage..as long as you aren't using much you are fine.

Seriously?  This is unexpected, at least for me.  I mean, logically it makes sense I guess, but still I'm a little shocked.  If the ASG 120's were affordable I would have bought one by now simply for the lax IP restriction business. But given the fact that I could buy a Mac Mini and run a full blown Mac OS X Server on it for the same price, I choose not to.

I know I'm not Astaro's target market, but it certainly wouldn't hurt them to take some of my money for a little more networking freedom.  I'd happily pay $400-$500 for no phone support but a solid license (with free updates) or an ASG 120.
  • Seriously?  This is unexpected, at least for me.  I mean, logically it makes sense I guess, but still I'm a little shocked.  If the ASG 120's were affordable I would have bought one by now simply for the lax IP restriction business. But given the fact that I could buy a Mac Mini and run a full blown Mac OS X Server on it for the same price, I choose not to.

I know I'm not Astaro's target market, but it certainly wouldn't hurt them to take some of my money for a little more networking freedom.  I'd happily pay $400-$500 for no phone support but a solid license (with free updates) or an ASG 120.

I have criticized Astaro's memory configuration multiple times..even come up with ways to improve it before they decided to switch to a proprietary proxy.  IMO they should put out two editions of ASL.  One optimized for the low end asg 1 and 2 x systems and one for everything else to allow the Linux kernel they use to properly use memory for caching and other memory enhancements.  

I like the Astaro product but some of the compromises they are making are hurting the product.  Honestly they should take out their shoehorn tweaks and ship everything with 1 gigabyte at the absolute minimum.

If they don't want to do that I would dump the ASG 1x line.  they really are seriously underpowered even for a basic ASG and they curl up on the floor and quiver if you really start using the whole suite.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I ditto all they you have said. I have even spoke to my rep at astaro and told him I can not sell those low end boxes with that little ram they have.
Reply Children
No Data