[7.185] First tests -> Same Problems IM/P2P/Proxys/and More

Hi there...
just installed the new version and tested around al little in my home network...

I'll write down evething i can see now, so if there are any qustions in the end, please ask.

FOA my Setup...
Hardware as in Signature
Config as in attachment
AV: Dual Scan
additionaly IM/P2P is set to block all except skype and Bit Torrent
4 DNATS (BitTorrent/XBOX360 default ports and [SKYPE14420]/[6112] to one client)

So lets start:

- First of all i tried Skype (again)
Just as in 7.180 my box reports a successful connection. and WOW im able to log in. Waiting about two minutes i also can get a call through.
Anyway while skype is runnung all Proxy respond very slow. 
Ok call that fixed for me, but the performance is some kind of awful. and with one client active while testing, the hardware realy is not undersized.
Also "Skype Find" gets no connection and after letting in try for a few minutes astaro does not respond to anything. cant see any log entries at that time.
After shutting down skype the astaro returns to full service.
[INLINE ADDITION] 
Well, after one successfull connction now nothing works again.
After letting skype try to conncect, my box takes a time out and returns when stopping skype.
tried again after a reboot and jeah it worked again...
one time.
also with skypefind
but reproducalbe without log entries just once sky is started after a reboot.
anyway sessions are reported corectly unter IM
[/]
=>3%CPU + 33% RAM through test

- Second one is BitTorrent
Can Successfully log in, get some bytes down and up but after a minute or two the system takes a break.
Only thing working is webadmin, Proxys (DNS, HTTP) dont respond any longer.
I logged in via console and checked kernel log:
----------------------------------------------------------
2008:04:11-20:10:25 (none) kernel: net_disable_timestamp [named]: netstamp_needed=2
2008:04:11-20:10:25 (none) kernel: net_disable_timestamp [named]: netstamp_needed=1
2008:04:11-20:10:27 (none) kernel: net_enable_timestamp [named]: netstamp_needed=2
2008:04:11-20:10:27 (none) kernel: net_enable_timestamp [named]: netstamp_needed=3
2008:04:11-20:10:27 (none) kernel: net_enable_timestamp [named]: netstamp_needed=4
2008:04:11-20:10:27 (none) kernel: net_enable_timestamp [named]: netstamp_needed=5
2008:04:11-20:11:08 (none) kernel: net_enable_timestamp [ping]: netstamp_needed=6
2008:04:11-20:11:10 (none) kernel: net_disable_timestamp [ping]: netstamp_needed=5
2008:04:11-20:11:46 (none) kernel: net_enable_timestamp [ping]: netstamp_needed=6
2008:04:11-20:11:50 (none) kernel: net_disable_timestamp [ping]: netstamp_needed=5
----------------------------------------------------
Only thing that helped was a reboot after that.
After the socond skype test (without reboot) there it wasnt possible to connect to anything in BT.
Reboot helped here too. (wtf is this a MS firewall? [[;)]] )
also its kind of strange that i cant reach webadmin or the proxys, one thing nearly always works while the other one doesnt. and sometimes both are down.
Yes this sounds realy noobish, i know. but i cant find a system in this or get some intresting log output.
and please be sure im working with astaro a "bit" longer than since yesterday.

- IM Detection:
take a visit on kongregate.com (site with free flash games) click on any game.
next to the game there is a little flash chat loading which is blocked by the jabber IM rule.
packetfilter for this is not working.
Yeah i know... not a bug, its by design, so call it an example for tweaking the magical IM/P2P detection against false positives.
unfortunately i could not find other sites to test that behavior
(anyway i think administrators selfmade packetfilters should have a higher priority than the IM filters, since i dont want to know how many custom applications get blocked due to those many ports covered by the presets. just my opinion...)

- DHCP
for some reason i cant find out i have to resend an DHCP request again after each reboot of my box. 
im realy tired of testing for today so atm i cant point to where thos comes from. maybe someone has same effects.

- QoS
i want to delete those 23 unneedet presets... where are the buttons?

im a bit helpless for today... its been a long day [[;)]]
so if you have any clues questions or tips what to look for, please let me know.

Thanks, goodnite and have a nice weekend...
Daniel

PS: im out over the WE, so i'll reply to possible questions on monday.
  • 7.190 and 7.191 still the same.

i guess i'll reinstall 7.104. this is annoying!

or can anybody give me a hint what to look for?
  • hey

do you still have all this problems/issues with 7.191? could you give me a short update what concerns you most? 

/alex
  • yes i still have this in 7.191.

What worries me most is:
    my box completely stops responding if skype or bittorrent are started.

If the final 7.2 does somthing simmilar when we start applying it on the first customers ... Merry X-Mess

Anyway:
    i will reinstall 7.180 from the .iso tommorrow since i get a little paranoid that i seem to be the only poor fool that gets this behavior.
    I ll update to latest beta then. and reimport my config.

After that i'll try again and give you another update here.

Thanks
  • Hi Insomniac, 

what do you mean by "the box completely stops responding"?

Do ping packets get still go through the internet from the host where skype is running?
    Do ping packets get still go through the internet from a host where skype is not running?

Do you see messages in the /var/log/kernel.log like "*** packets dropped"?

Do you see if the process "afcd" is running?
    Do you see any loglines in the /var/log/selfmonitor.log?

This should give us more insight where the issue could be.

In 7.191 we have an overblocking issue, means the engine blocks more packets than it should.
    If a host is blocked due to skype (and maybe also due to bittorrent) the engine is more sensitive, which could lead to the problem that other encrypted connections like HTTPS do accidentally get blocked.

Could this be the case in your setup?

thanks
    Gert
  • hey Gert.
    Thanks that was all i wanted all the time some tips where to look between the ne things ;-)

i can get pings through.
    but the proxys do not respond. no http/s, no pop, no dns

for example:
    i start BT everything is fine. i can also use the http proxy. about one minute later the proxy gets very slow. and about one minute later nothing except BT works.

just as info right now.

as mentioned above i will do a fresh install of the beta and so on, after shift.
    (gues about 19:00)

After that i will take the time and look around again, considering your hints.

Thanx in advance für the infos.
    cu l8er

Cheers
    Daniel
  • call me murphy... *gnah*

My CD Drive didn't like beeing unused for months.

Got my spare parts here an will try again today.

stay tuned
  • Ok now...

Here is what i did today:
    - Fresh Install 7.180
    - basic setup w/o wizzard
    - up2date to 7.192
    - HTTP Proxy (Basic Authetication)
    - POP3 Proxy
    - IM/P2P
    - IPS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TOP1:
    Skype still lets my box stumble but not hang.
    skype set to "log" in IM Setings
    with and without HTTPS Proxy enabled in skype
    Login in both cases possible, and with deactivated proxy a connection is established after about 5 minutes.
    Calls also need about 3mins to get through.
    second call works great, pressed call and immediately got a connection.
    Session is anyway reported correctly.
    Well so it works but performance is something different ;-)
    SkypeFind also works fine

Do ping packets get still go through the internet from the host where skype is running?
    Do ping packets get still go through the internet from a host where skype is not running?
    Do you see messages in the /var/log/kernel.log like "*** packets dropped"?
    Do you see if the process "afcd" is running?
    Do you see any loglines in the /var/log/selfmonitor.log?

1. yes without any rise of response times.
    2. dito
    3. i'm affraid not 
    4. top:  "S  0.7  0.7   0:01.22 afcd"
    5. nope sorry.

At least now the http proxy seem to work fine. a bit slower than from another client at the same time, but not realy much
    Except when you just try to get a connection through. then the proxy sometimes fails.
    while pop3proxy also takes a break of about two minutes to respond to the skype running client.

loads are very fine while running the test...
    0.05 - 0.62
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOP2:
    BitTorrent also works.
    Thou BT is set to "Log" in P2P, the outgoing ports are blocken by Default Drop.
    Setting up a Filter Rule corrects this and i can download the asg iso.
    Shouln't this be done by the P2P engine or did i get something wrong here?
    Ok, one download still whrecks my box, but with that one in the list my client tryes random ports.
    Setting the Packetfilter to any also corrects this.

Connection also reported correctly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK now that this is workin i reimported my backup from 7.191
    clicking the restore button seems to mess up the config.
    the astaro stopped doing its job.
    After a restart it also did't do nothing.

i had to reset to the checkpoint just before importing via "cc"

so i tried again applying the backup via "cc" and

.......restore('cfg_5219_1210281499');

immediately the system stops responding, and another reboot also left it in state "unusable"

but thats enough for today.
    restored the fresh installed backup again.

If this backup issue is some kind of intresting, leave me a note and i'll check that tomorrow.
    first thing i notice is a disabled onboard network card, which was active while the old backup was created.

so if somebody would be so kind to PM me howto clean up the interface mess in V7 (also via cc?), i would try that tomorrow and take another test with the reimported backup.
    the simple ifconfig things dont work for some reason ;-)

I'd like to know if my old config was messed up for some reason or if the reinstall fixed it. in last case i guess i have to reinstall with updates upto 7.191 to verify whats going on there.

Cheers and thanks again for the hints

daniel

EDIT
    it was way to late yesterday [[;)]]
    ill just switch the cables to get it back working, when i get home today.
    no need for special complicated tweaks.
    i just should take some sleep from time to time. [[;)]]
  • same behavior with the imported backup.

performance is bad, but it works

Well but now skype is reported as MSN Messenger?!