[7.100] Wishlist smtp

i know that main goal with 7.1 ist http proxy,
but inside 7.0x i found some problems with smtp.

1. Smtp proxy dies after lunch (or breakfast, or between lunch and breakfast)
I got this problem on asg120 and 220, i got this problem on sites with 10.000 mails/day and i got this problem on sites with 50mails/day.
Cant reproduce this, but if this occurs, the smtp proxy takes mails from inside and outside, but no one will be delivered.
Only disable/enable smtp proxy helps (sometimes only reboot helps)

2. Without Email-Subsription its not possible to setup a smarthost for reporting/notification mails. 

3. Quarantene Manager:
First Display start with pop3 (why not with smtp ?)
Sorting order is also not so optimal. (with 1000 mails inside)
Why Astaro dont keep the same sort order like in 6.3 ? (Newest on top )

4. With enabled SMTP Proxy i was unable to restrict incoming mails to one external host. (looks like Proxy > PF Rules)

Gregor Kemter
Parents

• 1. Smtp proxy dies after lunch (or breakfast, or between lunch and breakfast)
    I got this problem on asg120 and 220, i got this problem on sites with 10.000 mails/day and i got this problem on sites with 50mails/day.
    Cant reproduce this, but if this occurs, the smtp proxy takes mails from inside and outside, but no one will be delivered.
    Only disable/enable smtp proxy helps (sometimes only reboot helps)

I have several customers (including my own production setup) running the SMTP Proxy, none have problems with the SMTP Proxy "dying" randomly.  I have only seen a few brief SMTP scan daemon restarts occur on our VMWare test system, but that doesn't halt email traffic, except only for a brief period (less than 15 to 30 seconds) -- I would say that this is unusual... maybe you can post details about how these are configured (transparent mode, etc...)... might help.

2. Without Email-Subsription its not possible to setup a smarthost for reporting/notification mails.

I believe you can use SMTP proxy even without the Email Subscription in your license, at least they did add that recently to the Version 7 release.. haven't checked that under the beta, maybe something is broken there... I'll have to check

3. Quarantene Manager:
    First Display start with pop3 (why not with smtp ?)
    Sorting order is also not so optimal. (with 1000 mails inside)
    Why Astaro dont keep the same sort order like in 6.3 ? (Newest on top )

It starts with POP3 probably because it is sorting alphabetically in that drop down box; just because you want the SMTP item to show up first doesn't mean that others might not want it to start with POP3.  The sorting order is easily changed by clicking the field labels at the top of the quarantine manager!

4. With enabled SMTP Proxy i was unable to restrict incoming mails to one external host. (looks like Proxy > PF Rules)

Not a new issue, but I do agree one should be able to control this.  Packet filter rules and NAT rules have no effect on SMTP proxy access, unfortunately... we should be presented with an option that will allow restrictions for inbound email from specific hosts, as well as the ability to make the SMTP proxy to bind to any specific IP we wish, instead of having it listen on every single IP on the unit.  You do have a good point with this one.

Gregor Kemter[/QUOTE]

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• If we are building a wish list for future changes to the SMTP Proxy, please add my support to being able to bind the SMTP to a specific interface, and also because we use a smarthost at our ISP I would like to be able to restrict all in-bound emails to only those that are relayed via this cluster. 

While looking at this area, I have noticed a small reporting issue, as these smarthosts are being reported as the largest spammers! Ideally we want the original source addresses/domains of the emails, not the local relays, if that is possible.

This is confusing users of the report, and hiding the true identities of the problem creators.

Dave P
  • We'll address a lot of these issues in 7.2 ... please bear with us [:D]
Reply Children
No Data