SMTP & Exchange 2003 Help please

Hi
I'm unable to get the SMTP Proxy with Transparent mode "ON" working.
I have an SBS 2003 (Exchange 2003) Server on my Internal network and I am required to send email through my ISP Smarthost.
The Exchange server is setup to send via the ISP Smarthost and this works with the SMTP Proxy turned off, this also works with relay turned on for this host and smarthost configured in asl and worked under earlier 7.0x.
I use a DynDNS host name and emails are sent as *.dnydns.net as the ISP requires reverse DNS Lookup.
When I turn on the "Transparent mode" I get "#5.5.0 smtp;550 Relay not permitted".
What am I missing.
Thanks for any help.
Mark
(I hope I have everything covered here)
  • Hi Mark,

try adding the IP of the Exchange server to the "Host Relays" on the ASG.
  • Hi
    I'm unable to get the SMTP Proxy with Transparent mode "ON" working.
    I have an SBS 2003 (Exchange 2003) Server on my Internal network and I am required to send email through my ISP Smarthost.
    The Exchange server is setup to send via the ISP Smarthost and this works with the SMTP Proxy turned off, this also works with relay turned on for this host and smarthost configured in asl and worked under earlier 7.0x.
    I use a DynDNS host name and emails are sent as *.dnydns.net as the ISP requires reverse DNS Lookup.
    When I turn on the "Transparent mode" I get "#5.5.0 smtp;550 Relay not permitted".
    What am I missing.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mark
    (I hope I have everything covered here)

Make a HOST Object with the IP address of Exchange Server say SVRMAIL1 - 172.16.x.7 for example, use the SMART Hots option in the ASTARo to talk to the ISP and let EXCHANGE talk to the ASTARO thats what PROXY is for and then as TOM says allow the SVRMAIL1 object to be a Allowed RELAY.

This ensures ONLY the mail server can send SMTP traffic outr, not a PC with dodgy Private mail on ...

Also depending on subscription level you can scan / tag emails etc .. outbound
  • For those interested.
    I have changed the SMTP connector "Smarthost setting" to reflect to the Astaro box and not to the ISP Smarthost.
    Now all works as expected.
    Below is a check list for those having problems with Exchange.
    1. Enter the Astaro IP or Host name into the SMTP Connector in Exchange.
    2. Add Exchange server to enable Host-Based Relay.
    3. Add SMTP Hostname in advanced settings.
    4. Add ISP Mail Smarthost.

Mark