[v7.086] Can't authenticate with ActiveDirectory

I can't authenticate with ActiveDirectory.

In v7.011, I can authenticate of End User Portal with ActiveDirectory.

ActiveDirectory Server : Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (Jpn) with ServicePack 1

There is following message in aua.log.
aua[6302]: id="3005" severity="warn" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Authentication failed" srcip="0.0.0.0" user="test1" caller="portal" reason="DENIED"

Is this issue a bug?
Parents
  • Certainly not ... it's just saying that your authentication failed.

Reasons can be numerous. Did you check/review your configuration? Is your "test1" user contained in a backend group with AD membership? Is this group added to the allowed users/groups for the portal?

Cheers
  • In v7.011, I can authenticate of End User Portal with ActiveDirectory.
    (Same ASG Settings, and Same ActiveDirectory Server, Same User/Group)

And I was able to log in to End User Portal in "user1".
    Even if I am doing the same setting, I can't log in in v7.086.
    The situation doesn't turn into even v7.090.

A user should be made automatically by ASG when I enable the ActiveDirectory authentication.
    However, even it isn't done in v7.1 beta.
  • Any confirmation on this?  Anyone here actually getting Basic authentication to work?  I would have sworn that it was working for me yesterday pre-v7.091, but I could be mistaken.
  • Finally got SSO working.

However, to get it to work, I had to join the domain via the short NETBIOS name rather than the longer fully qualified AD domain name. (ie COMPANY rather than company.com.au)
  • I did not try COMPANY, I tried COMPANY.ORG and it worked.  Neither company.org nor company would work.

SSO is working fine for me, but no Basic Auth.  Also, SSO doesn't work with my Win2000 clients.

You have any Win2000 clients that SSO works with?
  • I'm only testing SSO with one client at the moment, (Vista 32bit).

We have no Win2k machines on the network...  Still testing and will report back as soon as I can.
  • I'm only using XP clients, which work with proxy profiles running in SSO mode.
    If I get chance, I'll set up a Win2000 client and give it a try.

With XP clients, basic authentication mode seems to work OK too (for me at least).
    TXGARobert, did you make sure that the relevant Active Directory groups were included in the 'users/groups' box in the filter assigment? They would have been there for the profile to work in SSO mode, but you may have removed them to test it in standard mode (just guessing).

IE7 vs Firefox in basic authentication mode:
    ------------------------------------------
    Everytime I run IE, I'm asked for a username and password (unless I opt to remember it). This applies even if an 'already authenticated' IE7 window is open

Using Firefox 2 however, once a window is running and has been authenticated, subsequent windows do not require authentication, as long as the first window is left running.

I don't know if this is of any significance, it's just an observation.

When I get a few spare minutes (!?) I'll set up a Win2k client and test it with SSO and basic auth, and report my findings.
  • No, I didn't remove them.  
    Filter Assignment set for active directory group,  Proxy Profile set to authenticate with AD SSO, works great with XP.  Only change I make is to set auth mode to Basic, I get the box to popup asking for name / pass.  After three attempts, I get the Astaro blocked page, reason given is auth failed.

In AD SSO mode, the Win2k computers won't go anywhere except internal addresses.  I don't get a Astaro blocked page, it just sits there until the page times out.
  • Hi Robert,

No, I didn't remove them.  
    Filter Assignment set for active directory group,  Proxy Profile set to authenticate with AD SSO, works great with XP.  Only change I make is to set auth mode to Basic, I get the box to popup asking for name / pass.  After three attempts, I get the Astaro blocked page, reason given is auth failed.

In AD SSO mode, the Win2k computers won't go anywhere except internal addresses.  I don't get a Astaro blocked page, it just sits there until the page times out.

i've discovered a problem with NTLM Authentication which shows up when using Win2000 Clients. Is it possible to install a 'hand-crafted' http proxy on your box, so you can test if this fixes the problem?

Thanks,

Sven.
  • Sure is, tell me what you want me to do and I will give it a try.
  • Hi Robert,
    I set up a win2k client on my 'virtual network' (ASG setup on MS Virtual PC, with various virtual clients).
    At first SSO didn't work (even with ASG having successfully joined my virtual win2k3 server). However, after applying win2k sp4, and all the available updates thereafter from windows update, SSO worked ok.
    Are your Win2k clients right upto date?
  • Yes, all Win2K computers are running SP4.

svens did something to the proxy here at my site and aftwards the Win2k clients started working with AD SSO.

I guess they integrated the "fix" into the 7.1 release, but I am not sure.  I haven't turned AD SSO back on for the whole district because I can't seem to get Basic Auth to work.

Now that 7.1 is a release version, I can turn tickets in to support.  Hopefully, they will be able to show me what I am doing wrong and get that working.
  • Yes, all Win2K computers are running SP4.

svens did something to the proxy here at my site and aftwards the Win2k clients started working with AD SSO.

I guess they integrated the "fix" into the 7.1 release, but I am not sure.  I haven't turned AD SSO back on for the whole district because I can't seem to get Basic Auth to work.

Now that 7.1 is a release version, I can turn tickets in to support.  Hopefully, they will be able to show me what I am doing wrong and get that working.
Children
No Data