[7.086] Network accounting requests may gobble up system resources [CONFIRMED]

After I was drilling down in Network accounting (which kind of works now!), I tried to view details for the last 7 days for my laptop IP address. Upon clicking update, the system went into a very bogged down state. I got the timeout message asking if I wanted to wait or abort, and I clicked abort. Upong doing so, about 20 seconds later I got a message saying it was aborted.

CPU usage on the Dashboard has been 100% for the last 15 minutes, and running Top shows confd using 95% cpu.

Attached is a screenshot of a putty session running top, as well as the confd-debug.log and mdwdebug.log files from that time.
Parents
  • Hi,
    have you seen this issue again in the meantime?
    I read your log on friday and tried to reproduce it today but to no avail. The database call is executed but seems to never get finished, but that's about everything I know about it. 
    To find out what the process really does I'd need to attach an strace to it, look which files are opened by the process etc., so I need to either reproduce it here or have access to a machine where it can be reproduced :/

Cheers,
     andreas
  • Just tried it again now, same result. As soon as I select my laptop ip, last 7 days, and click update, the system goes to full cpu usage.

I can easily give you access to my system if that would help. It is just my home firewall and my wife can live with any interuptions [:)].

Just let me know how you want the info.
  • I just attempted this again, same result. Thought it might help after the system has been idle for a couple of days.

I will update to the latest build in a few hours, and once the reboot is done, will try again to see if it makes a difference if the system has just freshly been rebooted.
  • This gets more and more interesting.

I tried this using Firefox 2.0.0.10, and guess what? I got my report on my laptop.. mind you with 8433 services? 

However MSIE I still get the timeout button, and cpu goes crazy.
  • Sorry for getting back to you so late. You are right, this is interesting - browser should not affect the runtime of a backend call, can't really imagine how this might be connected. If it is OK with you I'd be happy to have webadmin/ssh access to your machine and take a look at it (email is agrosse at astaro dot com). I might need to hand this over to our frontend guys though if it turns out to be solely frontend-related.

Cheers,
     andreas
  • Confirmed, and thanks for your help!

There are several problems in this:
    - a bug impeding the run of database maintenance scripts, leading to a large amount of datasets and therefore higher runtime for calls including the archives, which is already confirmed and fixed but will not be released for 7.100 because we need more time to test this

- a bug where the backend database call will not be terminated even if you select the "Abort" option after the timeout hits, so calls will always run through even if they take an hour to complete. If another call is started during that time, you will have even 2 processes pegging the CPU and competing for memory and disk I/O which is obviously very detrimental to system performance

- a bug where the confd worker processing the webadmin input will take a large amount of memory and CPU usage although there are no more database calls running, in combination with a very slow and sluggish webadmin (probably also due to timeout not leading to correct cleanup).

Again, many thanks for your assistance! 
    Cheers,
     andreas
  • Wow a 3 - in - 1 bug report! Nice!

Glad to help out, have used Astaro since 2001, and place to for many more years. Helping you get better helps me in the long run [:)]
Reply Children
No Data