Installing VMware ESX VMXNet adapter

I noticed that the v7 Beta also uses the VMware Tools if needed. So I made a new VM in ESX3.0.1, installed ASG, ran the Basic System Setup and the ASG Setup Wizard, and powered it off.

In the VMX config file, I changed the virtualDev from the default AMD PCnet adapter to the VMware optimized 'vmxnet', in the ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet".

After booting the ASG VM, it does have network connectivity, and I can see that the VMXNet adapter is correctly recognized (using lspci, I can verify that the correct virtual NIC is inserted into the VM), and since I can do everything I could do before (connect to the WebGUI, browse the internet and type this message while this PC is set up to use the proxy, I know that all functionality is there.

But when I go to 'Network', 'Interfaces', all interfaces using the 'VMXNet' adapter are in state 'down'. The 'Hardware' tab shows me that the hardware in this list isn't updated.

Is there a way to force the hardware tab in the WebGUI to update, so the state of my NIC's can be properly viewed from the WebGUI?
  • Hi

I don't think this is just a VM issue.  I get the same when using my digital NIC going to a Motorola cable modem via DHCP.  Everything is working but the WebGUI thinks the link is down.

For me this has been like this since v5.  I am just hoping before gold which is coming soon, they sort this out.
    Frankly I would like to see another up2date / ISO refresh before then