No IPv6 for PPPoE

How hard would it be to add the option to gain the IPv6 Gateway address, and interface address via PPPoE - like you can for IPv4?

Parents Reply Children
  • By then we could be up to IPv8, LOL

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• It's most annoying as I have clients that were looking for a firewall solution which uses IPv6, and would allow IPv6 DHCP-PD.

They replicate fileserver using IPv6 connectivity through firewalls.

Tim Grantham

Enterprise Architect & Business owner

• Hi,

the only Sophos solution is the UTM which has been correctly handling IPv6 for many years. I was contemplating putting a UTM in front of my XG to enable IPv6 handling. The UTM handles IPv6 without a NAT and it is integrated into the UTM, not like the XG where the IPv6 is treated as a separate firewall

Sophos do not seem to be able to grasp the requirement for IPv6 compliance in this modern networking age. Very few ISPs around the world have IP4 address ranges to sell to customers, but will quite happily sell you an IPv6 solution with a static /56.

Ian

edited spelling

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• I'm amazed by the number of users out there that are using IPv6 - I thought it was just a nice feature to have and future proofing your environment, but a couple of big businesses I deal with are fully IPv6 compliant, and use it as it's meant to be used with direct access to servers.

The beauty of having no NAT makes it so easy to do so, and you can get away from Site-to-site VPN as you can firewall to allow encrypted communication over the internet.

Great for backups of servers over VDSL for example.

Tim Grantham

Enterprise Architect & Business owner