[Sync Sec] Important announcement on Synchronized Security Features on XG v17.5 Early Access

*Synchronized Security in SFOS 17.5*

SFOS 17.5 adds two additional new Synchronized Security features to the release, Lateral Movement Prevention and Synchronized UserID, in order to make use of these new Synchronized Security features you will need to have the latest EAP release of Sophos Endpoint Protection (to be released November 12th), you can check the version based on the screenshots below, specifically Sophos Network Threat Protection has to be >v1.7. The Sophos Network Threat Protection version can be checked by clicking the ‘Run Diagnostic Tool’ button on the about screen.

For more information on joining the EAP Program for Endpoint Protection please visit https://community.sophos.com/products/intercept/early-access-preview/

Besides these two new features in Synchronized Security there are also enhancements to Synchronized Application Control that makes handling of discovered applications easier.

*Lateral Movement Prevention*

Lateral Movement Prevention allows an endpoint to be isolated on the same broadcast domain and hence prevent infections to spread laterally over the network between endpoints. XG Firewall is used as the distribution hub for all information necessary for the endpoint to perform this isolation from other infected endpoints. Configuration for this feature is available within Sophos Central.

You will need to open the developer console in your browser after logging in to Sophos Central and enter the following command: sc.setFlag('endpoint.stonewalling.enabled')

After entering this command you should be able to see a new entry similar to the screenshot below, this will take you to the configuration for excluding specific endpoints from the stonewalling feature so that they are not being isolated.

*Synchronized UserID*

The new Synchronized UserID feature is an additional authentication method for users on XG Firewall. Synchronized UserID requires a configured ActiveDirectory Server for authentication (details can be found in the OnlineHelp) and the endpoint has to be part of this ActiveDirectory Domain as well as the user. Ones the user on the endpoint is authenticated to the ActiveDirectory, the endpoint will send the login information to XG Firewall that will also authenticate the user to the ActiveDirectory. The Synchronized UserID feature is only available for Windows endpoints and only in combination with ActiveDirectory.

*Synchronized Application Control*

SFOS 17.5 also enhances Synchronized Application Control to better handle discovered applications. We have added a separate filter for System Applications, which can now been seen in the special filter “System Applications”, these includes applications like the Windows and MacOS services that are being discovered.

Another added option to manage discovered applications is the additional ‘hide’ option that moves an application to the filter ‘Hidden Applications’. Hidden applications will no longer be displayed in the discovered applications list, but opposed to ‘delete’ these applications will not be added again after they are discovered again but will remain on the ‘Hidden Applications’ filter. This feature is intended for applications that the admin does not want to have displayed continuously on the application list, but are still present in the environment.

These additional features should make the handling of larger amounts of discovered applications easier.

• Hello

Far from me the idea to influence Sophos' idea department (Ok.  That's B.S.) but here's some illuminating readings:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln311931/dell-emc-open-networking?lang=en

and

https://www.openswitch.net/

I know there are other manufacturers embarking the "no-OS network hardware" bandwagon.  To me, this is a heck of an opportunity.  Because there's a HUGE part of development Sophos would avoid meaning it would open doors to many markets.  And inter-connectivity with many SDN products.

Paul Jr 

• Thanks for the post Paul. Coming for the Dell world myself OpenSwitch and the evolving adoption of SDN (via OpenFlow an/or OpenStack) are areas in which we think the firewall market will eventually converge into, however before we take on that particular initiative we are looking to streamline and optimize our underlying API so that we can better port our control/data plane into those stacks. We also need to improve the way in which we present some of our DPI capabilities (even Sync Security) as a VNF so that integrations into product like OpenSwitch can be selective and better contained. I'll PM you separately and would love to pick your brain on some of these use cases. 

• Damn, one day everything in the rack will be blue!

I think being able to block untrusted (term meaning non-Central managed IPs) by default would be best case. Very few devices on a network that aren't going to be Central Managed would actually need to reach out and communicate with an Endpoint. Similar to how the Windows Firewall right now can be managed to block all incoming on Public/Private/Domain but instead set to "While on network with Sophos XG Firewall, block all access except to trusted IPs and configured IP lists".

On our network, I can only think of one device that would actually need to initiate traffic to an endpoint that is not managed by Central, everything else is Windows with Server protection. Anything else should not be reaching out to my endpoints or servers (i.e. ESXi does not need to communicate with my endpoints/servers).

Emile

• We have looked at that Emile, the problem being things like Guest networks where you have no control over untrusted devices.

Your idea of "While on network with Sophos XG Firewall, block all access except to trusted IPs and configured IP lists" is interesting but I can see administrative overhead issues in maintaining those lists. Probably not too onerous in a small business but move up to multi-site, multi-thousand user environments and it becomes more difficult.

Will bear this in mind however for future planning around this feature.

Stuart

• Unknown said:

We have looked at that Emile, the problem being things like Guest networks where you have no control over untrusted devices.

Your idea of "While on network with Sophos XG Firewall, block all access except to trusted IPs and configured IP lists" is interesting but I can see administrative overhead issues in maintaining those lists. Probably not too onerous in a small business but move up to multi-site, multi-thousand user environments and it becomes more difficult.

Will bear this in mind however for future planning around this feature.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I do agree that it can cause administrative overheads but they will still be a far cry smaller than a fully integrate NAC solution with say, Forescout, which quotes a month for installation. On my idea, we have to remember that managed devices will have heartbeat and will auto-magically be inherently trusted so that will cover 95% of devices on a network unless the Customer has opted for one solution on endpoints and another on servers which is not outside the realms of possibility. So the last 5% will be a mishmash of analysis and diagnostic software like SolarWinds or PRTG sensor sweep sources etc which will be a small manageable number for entry into a trusted IP list.

We also have to remember, this is just to stop unmanaged/untrusted/unhealthy devices initiating connections to healthy managed devices, not the other way around.

In regards to Guest networks, any managed corporate device on a guest network should be locked down to not accept external incoming connections so the Lateral Movement is not a system that would go in place in this area.

Food for thought, it's the difference of large sums of effort.

Emile

• if you are using the lateral movement detection you must be already using the sophos central endpoint already, which arrives with "Device Self Isolation"(Part of Endpoint EAP) which also comes alongside the lateral movement prevention, its like the computer also self isolates its self from everything else in the event of a change in health status (Managed and Unmanaged), only allowing the DNS, BOOTP/DHCP and traffic generated by sophos processes to be allowed outside. This is again and endpoint feature can be enabled with a simple Check box and LMD is just in its initial release on the firewall side like Jan mentioned we will add more capabilities for the LMD. 

• if you are using the lateral movement detection you must be already using the sophos central endpoint already, which arrives with "Device Self Isolation"(Part of Endpoint EAP) which also comes alongside the lateral movement prevention, its like the computer also self isolates its self from everything else in the event of a change in health status (Managed and Unmanaged), only allowing the DNS, BOOTP/DHCP and traffic generated by sophos processes to be allowed outside this is in addition to the XG updating the other endpoints not to communicate with the infected computer. This is again and endpoint feature can be enabled with a simple Check box and LMD is just in its initial release on the firewall side like Jan mentioned we will add more capabilities for the LMD. 

• Hello Kranthi,

I believe you have misinterpreted what Stuart and I were discussing holistically.

What we were discussing is using the LMD technology to actively block connections from devices that don't have a health marker. I.e. my endpoint is healthy and can receive connections from other managed healthy devices, but that printer over there? Doesn't need to talk to me, block it.

What you have described is self lock down due to infection which is the opposite spectrum to what was discussed.

Emile