High memory load on XG106

Hi

since i updated to 18.0.0 EAP1-Refresh1 my test XG106 shows a very high memory load... 80%. 9 firewall rules, no ips, no web filtering, no atp activated.

Normal?

I tried to reset it to factory defaults but still the same.

br

Parents
  • On an XG115.

Somewhat weirdo ...  Particularly memory usage.

Paul Jr

• XG115 with 8GB of memory, huh ? ;o) But it looks quite bumpy compared to my (stock) XG125 with 4Gigs of memory

I don't understand, why your XG has such memory usage bumps. I assume there are probably appliance specific memory usage optimizations in place, which might interfere with you obviously upgraded memory ?

I have literally everything in use on my home XG as:

2 Internet Uplinks

RED's

New DPI / SSLx in place

~7 local networks (Ethernet and VLAN's)

Mail Proxy

WAF publishing ~7 sites

IPS and ATP

Sandstorm

SyncSec

~60 devices as Notebooks, Computers, Servers, Network devices, IoT devices

WIFI (partly - only manages WIFI on RED15W - the APX are managed via Central)

However - Snort never was memory friendly, as we moved now additional functions as DPI web filter into snort, higher memory usage was expectable. However - a XG should treated like a server and not a client. While free memory on a client helps be responsive and fast opening apps, a server should keep as much as possible in memory and make use of available memory as much as possible. So there's nothing wrong, if a 4Gig Appliance eats makes use of 80-90% of available memory, as long as memory and swap usage stays more or less stable (and not so bumpy as in BIg_Buck's example).

@Big_Buck: Does your appliance possibly reload some services often, or do you have processes crashing/got some core dumps on the machine ? In my eyes the memory usage should be way more linear and stable as in your graph.

• There's nothing in that XG115.  Bought on EBAY, and dedicated to test v18.

A single MASK / Catch-all NAT rule.

4 wireless Networks.

4 Firewall rules.

That's it !!!

Having more than 5 gig of memory is not that useful, but 5 gig dimms does not exist. So, for $29, I got 8gig DIMM.  I presume that in such environment 4 gig is ok.  I also presume Sophos set things in such a way that it limts the memory ceiling on certain devices.

It would not be useful to pimp the SSD since in an XG115v3 storage is SATA/m2 that's around 400m/s performance.  I doubt an NVME would improve performance.

I pay those XG so cheap, it is not even worth the hassle to return them to Sophos if they break.  Garbage can.  Next one.  An XG115Wv2 was sold $49 last week on EBay.  It is tricky to find them.  Requires many hours lurking all year long.  But since I'm shopping for other things as well, it is not so bad.

Paul Jr

• There's nothing in that XG115.  Bought on EBAY, and dedicated to test v18.

A single MASK / Catch-all NAT rule.

4 wireless Networks.

4 Firewall rules.

That's it !!!

Having more than 5 gig of memory is not that useful, but 5 gig dimms does not exist. So, for $29, I got 8gig DIMM.  I presume that in such environment 4 gig is ok.  I also presume Sophos set things in such a way that it limts the memory ceiling on certain devices.

It would not be useful to pimp the SSD since in an XG115v3 storage is SATA/m2 that's around 400m/s performance.  I doubt an NVME would improve performance.

I pay those XG so cheap, it is not even worth the hassle to return them to Sophos if they break.  Garbage can.  Next one.  An XG115Wv2 was sold $49 last week on EBay.  It is tricky to find them.  Requires many hours lurking all year long.  But since I'm shopping for other things as well, it is not so bad.

Paul Jr

Children
No Data