This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

115w - do these actually work?

Set up our first 115w today and ran into problems when we got to enabling wireless.  A guest network set up in a separate zone worked fine, but trying to set up another network that will share the main LAN appears to be impossible.  Choosing "bridge with AP LAN" results in being unable to check the box to assign the network to the access point.

Called support and their less-than-impressive response was "umm I don't think it should do that but I don't really know and let me escalate this and someone will reach out in a few hours" but of course no one has.

Anyone know if there is a bug that prevents this from working the way it's supposed to on these new integrated boxes?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • The builtin AP functionality is borked IMO, they really should redesign this mess. To get it running, you need to create an additional SSID using the 'standalone interface' client traffic type. This will create a new bridge interface where you need to assign an additional Ethernet port to bridge the Wifi into. Separate zone using the internal AP does not work either (you can configure it, though).

BTW: Could you please post an "lspci -nn" from that box? Would be interesting to know which wifi-card they put into those boxes.
  • Had the same issues today and absolutely the same response from support.

THIS WAY IT IS ABSOLUTELY USELESS! 

I am asking myself if they test the stuff themselfes before they sell it?

Set up our first 115w today and ran into problems when we got to enabling wireless.  A guest network set up in a separate zone worked fine, but trying to set up another network that will share the main LAN appears to be impossible.  Choosing "bridge with AP LAN" results in being unable to check the box to assign the network to the access point.

Called support and their less-than-impressive response was "umm I don't think it should do that but I don't really know and let me escalate this and someone will reach out in a few hours" but of course no one has.

Anyone know if there is a bug that prevents this from working the way it's supposed to on these new integrated boxes?

Thanks!
  • Yeah pretty frustrating.  Support just let us know it appears to be a bug in some revision of 9.3 and that some folks have had success by backing down to 9.210 - we will be trying that today I guess.
  • OKKKKKK well that is apparently impossible without having a custom USB stick straight from Sophos or having a usb cd rom drive - really???  Sigh.
  • You can use an IDE or SATA drive with a USB adapter as well.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • We pulled out another 115w that's still on 9.300 and going to try with that.  It's pretty difficult to keep all the different workarounds straight given how much is broken in the gui, but we'll give it a shot.
  • Support basically admitted today that the answer to my original question is "no" the UTMs with integrated wireless are unusable until bug 34009 is resolved - who knows when that will be.

The 9.3x firmware necessary for the integrated wifi to be addressable is broken making wireless unusable.  The 9.210 firmware that doesn't have the wifi bug can't address the built in wifi.

Awesome!!
  • We are evaluating this unit and have run into the same issue. Are there any updates on a fix?
  • Tested with 9.306, this process adds about 20 minutes to the initial configuration. The only possible issue is that you won't be able to do QoS on eth0 (Internal).  I only recommend doing QoS on the External interface, so this solution should be fine for everyone.

The problem is that you can't Bridge-to-LAN with built-in wireless.  The solution:

1. After the initial setup, login, rename the Internal interface to "OldInternal" and move it to eth2.  You will then need to move your Ethernet cable to eth2 and login again to WebAdmin.
    2. Configure Wireless Protection.  Create "Guest" as a "Separate Zone" and "InternalW" as a "Standalone Interface" and then assign them to the built-in AP.
    3. In 'Interfaces & Routing', Edit "WirelessBridgebr101" to change its name to "Internal," select to bridge it to "eth0" and assign the IP and netmask (must not conflict with "OldInternal (Network)").
    4. Create a DHCP server for "Guest" and, if you don't already have a separate one for your internal LAN, create one for "Internal."
    5. Go to 'Definitions & Users >> Network Definitions' and click on the blue information dot to the right of "OldInternal (Address)." Using the Windows "Snipping Tool," take a picture of the section 'Used in these configurations'.  For each item except those in 'Interfaces & Routing', do the following:
      1. Edit the item in question
      2. Delete the "OldInternal (Network)" object
      3. Drag in the new "Internal (Network)" object
      4. Save
    6. Return to 'Definitions & Users >> Network Definitions' and check that the only entries left for "OldInternal (Network)" are those for 'Interfaces & Routing'. 
    7. Move the internal LAN cable back to eth0, and login to WebAdmin at the new IP - don't forget to change the properties of your Windows adapter to access the new IP.
    8. If you're satisfied that you've made all of the necessary changes, you can now delete the "OldInternal" interface in 'Interfaces'.

This should leave you with an "InternalW" WiFi network bridged to your internal LAN and a separate network for your guests.  You will still need to add firewall and masquerading rules.

Please post suggested changes to this list.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Just tried it on a 115w I purchased for a demo unit. Seems to work fine on mine, was actually able to bridge wifi and eth0,2,3 togather so the modem has a little "switch" for SOHO deployments. Gonna try it with the 125w when I'm able to get my hands on one as I've got a potential client for an "Integrated Gateway/Switch" to replace an existing Linksys combo router.