This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Captive portal setup for specific devices

I'm a recent convert from pfsense, and so far i am loving sophos.

There is one thing though that i haven't been able to figure out. I would like to setup authentication for specific devices for internet access.

In pfsense I was able  to do this with captive portal.

Any help?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • please follow the steps:

1- first of all you should specify the users or the IP range that will work under this policy

2- you should go to Web Protection > Web Filter Profiles > Add New Profile By Clicking on the GREEN PLUS at the right corner of the BOX.

3- when you add new profile you'll be asked to give this profile a name, then in the Allowed Network Box you should select your IP Address Range, your hosts Group that you want to work under this policy.

4- in the default authentication click on the Drop Down List and choose Browser (if you want to apply this policy on mobile phone device you can also specify which mobile phone device type can authenticate, like only android or iOS or whatever).

5- click on NEXT. and create new policy, choose the users that will authenticate and their filter action and then click on apply.

Good Luck.

Send me a private message if you want more help.
  • Thanks!

I had a feeling I was over-thinking it..

Does anyone know where I can set the period for the authentication? 1 hour, 2 hours, ect.
  • Hi, tojoski, and welcome to the User BB!

Look on the 'Advanced' tab in V9.1 and before, 'Misc' in V9.2 and later.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • sorry to hijack your thread tojoski, but this was in my ToDo list for a long time,

So this would allow me to force devices to authenticate BEFORE accessing anything, right
    what if , I wanted to force to authenticate anyONE, no matter on which device, ??

could I create a policy per interface?
    ( did not trried it before writing...)

Thanks
  • Each Profile applies to specific subnets, so you would need a different Profile if you wanted Browser Authentication of users on one interface and Agent Authentication on the other.   If you want everyone to authenticate by the same method, you only need a single profile.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • This is up and working perfectly, but I'm curious if there is a way to allow these UN-authenticated hosts out to windows update?
  • My standard approach is to have the top profiles for authenticatable users and the default profile be for all networks in transparent mode but with limited access.  Within a profile, the default uses the same filter action as the final transparent profile. Windows updates are allowed by exception.

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses.  Posted from my iPhone.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • If you are using Browser authentication, then make sure that you are not blocking pop-ups.  After logging on it should open a new tab that contains the username and a logout button.  As long as that new tab remains open you will be logged in.  15 minutes after closing the tab (or 15 minutes after logging in if you blocked the popup) you will need to re-authenticate.

This is the recommended way of using Portal, rather than changing the authentication timeout value (in advanced/misc).
  • I have a question to ask following my previous one, 

for exemple interfaces are as follows,
    external (internet access)  internal1(standard where the bulk of the network is )  internal2(printers and scanners) , internal3(NAS and backup devices) , internal-guest

my previous one was , can I force everyone to authenticate via web browser in order to reach out from the 'guest' interface to the other internal interfaces, like to print + go to the internet, or internet + internal1
    you guys answered yes to that, ( right?)

now what if the external interface was connected to a LAN inside the building, NOT the internet....

can I force a user , which already exists inside,  to have to authenticate with the same credentials when coming from the external interface and be able to reach the same resources like printing + NAS ( as an exemple)
  • This would be a bit different, I would think.  You could create a Hotspot (Wireless Protection) on the External interface.  You might also want to do that with the Guest interface.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA