Sometimes very slow browsing with Opera

Hi everybody,

I'm often experiencing very slow browsing with Opera. Sometimes the browser is waiting for some server response for a minute or so before continuing. It can be that it downloaded about 1 MB of the page already. So it's clearly not a bandwidth problem.
Accessing SSL encrypted pages is not affected.

This happens with all Opera installations here. Other browsers are working fine.

On the other hand I've never experienced this behaviour using Opera at another site where another type of firewall is used for internet access. So this issue seems to be a combination of both softwares.
If I add an exception for a workstation not to be filtered by the transparent proxy it loads imediately.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? Does anybody have a idea on how to isolate the problem?

All software is up-to-date:
Opera: 12.10
Astaro: 8.309
  • Hi, did you check the http/web security log?

Barry
  • In reply to BarryG:

I did. The http log doesn't seem to contain anything related.

The web filtering however contains messages about blocked paged, ads. I blocked that category intentionally. I deactivated that category. I can't be sure, yet. But it feels like that speeds up thing quite a bit.

My theory is that that is a category that is usually embedded in other sites instead of representing the actual site. Maybe that's a problem for the browser. Let's wait for one or two days and see what happens. I'll report back.

Thanks for the hint so far!
  • OK. 

You can also check the IPS log, and the PacketFilter/Firewall log.

It could possibly be a slow DNS issue... see https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/53/t/32566

Barry
  • DNS lookups usually resolve pretty fast. As I mentioned other browsers have been working fine the whole time. In the end I consider it a bug in Opera. But I really like the browser.

After a couple of days of testing I think I can say the mather has been resolved.

Thanks you very much for your help! I'll take a look the DNS best practices anyway.
  • opera is ad powered....so if you are blocking ads opera might be throwing a fit.  I don't know if there is a paid non-ad version of opera.
  • I remember it being ad powered in the very past. I do not see any banners or anything like that in current versions. What do you mean?
  • Same here with Opera. Experiencing very slow loading pages some times. Or some pictures don't show. Refreshing the page a few times helps eventually.. pretty annoying. I might say Smile
  • And you don't experience that problem with other browsers?
    If so, try deactivating all blocked categories. If it's working better that way try reactivating them one at a time.
  • Same here with Opera. Experiencing very slow loading pages some times. Or some pictures don't show. Refreshing the page a few times helps eventually.. pretty annoying. I might say Smile

Check the web filter live log while using opera..
  • Just rename the current profile folder. Check OMenu > About Opera for the path.
  • In reply to mathewvignesh:

Do you maybe have the opera turbo feature enabled, which relays via Opera upstream proxies compressing content (and under some circumstances slowing down your websurfing experience) ? Cool
  • In reply to first enquiry:

Excel tables do not post into this forum properly.   This is the workaround:

• Move the table into Word.
    • Add some text before and after.
    • Copy and paste the whole document from Word to the Forum.   The Word table will paste correctly.

However, it has seemed that whenever I paste a non-Sophos link, my post never shows up.

• In reply to DouglasFoster:

Just another spammer, Doug - I sent his posts to bit-heaven.

Cheers - Bob

• Check the web filter live log while using opera..

My theory is that that is a category that is usually embedded in other sites instead of representing the actual site. Maybe that's a problem for the browser. Let's wait for one or two days and see what happens. I'll report back.