We'd love to hear about it! Click here to go to the product suggestion community
Here's a puzzlerI've trying to block access to a web site that I'll be accessing through a Tor-based BrowserI enter the site name from the tor-browser url field (cut-paste so I can't make a mistake).
I edit the relevant policy and enter this url under "Websites".
This seems intuitive and simple enough not to be a mistake.
I, however, can continue to access this site using my standard browser.
Furthermore, I can go to the "Policy Helpdesk" and enter the URL and it shows as "Allowed" with the updated policy listed as the one used.This seems clearly to be a mistake/bug in the system.
Could someone check my work?
I just tested this and it worked for. I tried this with a site that doesn't appear in any other policy, exception etc. So in my case is used IBM's site to test this.
Two thoughts on this:1. only use the domain part, not the entire URL, i.e. ibm.com2. tick the [Include subdomains] box
Hope this works, good luck.
If Policy Help Desk says that a site is allowed, then you have not configured web filtering correctly. Read my tutorials, which are pinned to the top of the web filtering topic area. Web filtering is a very stable and reliable subsystem, which I have exercised thoroughly.
However, TOR is another animal entirely. The whole purpose of TOR is to obfuscate your traffic from intermediate devices, of which UTM is an example, so I would not expect web filtering to work normally.
I have not used TOR nor have I studied it at any length, but I infer the following:
UTM does have an application control which can be used to block outbound TOR connections. I do not know the details of how that control detects TOR.
Also, I am curious why you want to use TOR at all.
In reply to DouglasFoster:
Tor works fine thanks. Filtering... not so much.
This is what's at the top of the web filtering topic area. I don't see anything about a tutorial.I've been using web filtering since it was included in Astaro's product.
In reply to SalishSwede:
Check in Policy Helpdesk for an exception that is overriding your filter.
They have moved things around a little. I think these articles are the most applicable:
More complete discussion
The site is now blocked.I did nothing to change the behavior of the UTM.
There is a bug somewhere causing this, possibly a bug that has been patched and pushed out since I posted this issue."Nothing to see here, move along..."