This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPSec & MSS

Is there any way to put MSS on the actual IPSec tunnel?

Currently I've got IPSec up and running between two sites and it's working for normal usage. My problem is that when I have two computers with Jumbo Frames enabled, one on each site the traffic is not going through the tunnel. I dont want to disable jumbo frames on local communication. Now I've got it temporarily working by setting MSS on the firewall's interface to which the computer with large MTU is connected.

I would like to set MSS on the actual tunnel interface so all communication between the two sites is non fragmented, something like: iptables -I FORWARD 1 -o  -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1440

Is it possible and how do you do that?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Is there any way to put MSS on the actual IPSec tunnel?

Currently I've got IPSec up and running between two sites and it's working for normal usage. My problem is that when I have two computers with Jumbo Frames enabled, one on each site the traffic is not going through the tunnel. I dont want to disable jumbo frames on local communication. Now I've got it temporarily working by setting MSS on the firewall's interface to which the computer with large MTU is connected.

I would like to set MSS on the actual tunnel interface so all communication between the two sites is non fragmented, something like: iptables -I FORWARD 1 -o  -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1440

Did you already try the path MTU discovery feature in VPN instead of manually clamping MSS? Should technically have a similar effect in the end...

Sorry for short answers and typos. was written on mobile using astaro.org app.
  • Is there any way to put MSS on the actual IPSec tunnel?

Did you already try the path MTU discovery feature in VPN instead of manually clamping MSS? Should technically have a similar effect in the end...

Sorry for short answers and typos. was written on mobile using astaro.org app.
Children
  • Thanks for your help. 

Yes, that was one of the first things that I tried. It seems like the two Linux boxes doesn't care about that. Other machines running windows can send packets larger than MTU through the tunnel (fragmented), but communication between the two Linux is limited to 1472.