This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

iOS install not appearing in Remote Access on User Portal

Hi,

I have successfully configured and use SSL VPN which appears under Remote Access on the User Portal site. My problem is I have configured L2TP over IPsec for iOS but nothing appears in the User Portal. If I configure Cisco VPN access for iOS it appears, installs as described but ultimately the iOS device cannot connect to the Astaro.

The Astaro is at version 8.103, I have RADIUS correctly configured and the algorithm is SHA1. Both my devices use iOS5.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mark.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Mark, please submit a support request via your reseller.  I think this is an "undocumented" feature of the User Portal, but Astaro has yet to add it to the KIL.  The voice of another customer should be heard.  Thanks.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • We had the same Problem. We mixed AD Authentication and L2TP / Radius Authentication. This does not work as expected.
  • Volker, when you have both an AD server and a RADIUS server defined on the 'Servers' tab, the RADIUS server must be above the AD server.  If the AD is on top, then the Astaro gets a fail from AD and doesn't even try RADIUS.  I think this is a bug, but this behavior has been the same for at least three years.

Cheers - Bob
    PS In 8.300 (and possibly in all versions after 7.513), this behavior has changed, and it is no longer necessary for the RADIUS server to be above AD server.  I also confirm Volker's observation below including the fact that a user auto-created via a RADIUS authentication will not have other fields populated.  Authentication now works correctly with RADIUS below AD.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Volker, when you have both an AD server and a RADIUS server defined on the 'Servers' tab, the RADIUS server must be above the AD server.  If the AD is on top, then the Astaro gets a fail from AD and doesn't even try RADIUS.  I think this is a bug, but this behavior has been the same for at least three years.

Cheers - Bob

Yes, we tested the order BUT when you put the Radius on top, you loose the AD information on the user Object like Email address, which is bad since the user does not see the SPAM Mails anymore.

Br.
    Volker
  • Yes, we tested the order BUT when you put the Radius on top, you loose the AD information on the user Object like Email address, which is bad since the user does not see the SPAM Mails anymore.

I'm not seeing this.  If no one else can confirm, I'll schedule a lab test.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob,

I have tried positioning radius authentication above ad but I'm still not seeing anything in the user portal. 

I am able to see and install iPhone VPN from a second device which has ad above radius. The second device is using the latest software release. 

I am in the process of raising a ticket as you suggested but I am having to do it through my reseller. 

Any other suggestions will e great fully received, I will of course post any feedback I receive.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • I've modified my post above after having done some testing; in 8.300 (and possibly in all versions after 7.513), authentication now works correctly with RADIUS below AD

I confirm Volker's observation that a user auto-created via a RADIUS authentication will not have other fields populated.  This means that auto-creation should not be selected for a facility authenticated by RADIUS.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Problem solved!

I'm finally up and running. The first problem was the firewall blocking UDP ports 500 & 4500.

The second was a lack of clear instructions. L2TP over IPSec is now configured directly in the iPhone or iPad's settings not via the User Portal as before. After raising a call with tech. support I was pointed to the following link which got me up and running.

https://www.astaro.com/content/download/3435/30894/file/ASG_L2TP_iPhone_Setup_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • Thanks, Mark!  That's a good work-around, but I still think the User Portal should check for RADIUS backend group membership before it decides to NOT present the PPTP and L2TP over IPsec options.

It makes sense that it doesn't do that with SSL, Cisco and IPsec because the user's certificate must be available in the Astaro, and that's only there if the User has been created.

Please vote for: User Portal should include L2TP & PPTP for RADIUS auth'd users

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA