This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Help setting up a RED to a remote site

Hi all: I'm not sure if this is possible, but the ISP says it is...

At a remote location we want to set up a REDs device. The ISP says instead of putting the modem in bridge mode, they say it's OK to remove it entirely and plug WAN port that normally went into the modem to go into the RED. They said to set the RED up with the WAN IP and then enable DHCP on the device. I'm new to the RED device setup so I'm not sure if this would work or not. If it won't, should the modem be put in bridge mode? Does the RED even have the capability to modulate/demodulate? To set the WAN IP, would I set the uplink mode to Static Address and enter the WAN IP there? Basically, what's the best way to go about setting this up. I've read the guide a few times but I haven't seen any information about using the RED device in substitution for a modem.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Chad,

no, the RED can't be used instead of a modem. You have to put a router in front of the RED. The RED needs an IP at the WANport, DHCP or fixed. But it has to be Ethernet. So you have some kind of DSL line there?

For using a RED I think there is no advantage of a static IP at WAN side.

Best

Alex

/*Edited */

-

• Hi, Chad, and welcome to the UTM Community!

If you need more than what Alex gave you, please share the type of Internet connection you have.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA