This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can ping from UTM, but not from host to host in VLAN

I recently setup VLAN 2 within our network have everything pointing to the UTM for routing. I can ping the switches on the VLAN 2, but can't ping the host of the VLAN 2 from the VLAN 1. However, I can ping the host of VLAN 2 from the firewall.

I've even opened up a firewall rule Any>Any>Any and still can't ping the host from another host.

The interesting thing is it worked fine when I was using all tagged ports on the switch. However, I needed to have the ports untagged in VLAN 2 (and set PVLAN to 2) since I can't tag the NICs of the hosts I'm connecting to.

I would think this has to be a setting in the firewall since I can ping from the firewall, but I can't ping from hosts connected to the firewall.

Any help is much appreciated 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Sam, and welcome to the UTM Community!

VLAN 1 is reserved in the UTM for Wireless Protection and should not be used.

The "Any" Service includes only TCP and UDP - the other IP Protocols are not included.  Pinging is regulated on the 'ICMP' tab of 'Firewall'.  If you see in the Firewall log that a particular ping is still being blocked, you can make a firewall Allow rule using the "Ping" Service object.

Since you are just getting started, here are some things that you'll want to look at:

Rulz Also see Doug Foster's take on some of this: READ ME FIRST: UTM Architecture
    DNS best practice

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA